Why become a member? ×

NCD - Barefaced Gen3 Super Compact

deanovw

I have just used the Super compact for a gig and I can safely say I love this cab. It kind of reminded me of the old 4x10 punchiness I have been missing. It definitely has it all.

As much as I hate to admit it I do not need another one. One cab is fine. (I still want another one and I am sure two cabs must be better)

Our keyboard player was impressed with the sound and out geetardist said he thought it sounded great and had loads of bottom end. Ooer.

I want more gigs now so I can use it as it supposed to be used.

Still more than pleased with my super compact.

Messed around at rehearsals and had it standing on top of the rehearsal rooms bass cab, lost the coupling factor in the lows so bumped them up some more, but had to turn it down quiet a lot, otherwise it was seriously too loud. Couldn't hear the kick drum.

In regards to a low A, it'll handle it just fine, I'd be more worried about clipping the input on the amp than the cab.

Woah! These look super light and the 3gen with cloth front super cool! But do they also sound super cool? Reading the above it appears so.

How do the bare faced range compare to likes of bergantino, Aguilar, vanderkley?

Currently using a Berg AE112, was thinking of moving it on. (May have seen my thread in this section)

What kind of wattage does the super compact put out?

Playing smaller venues at moment with the odd larger gig and have always got by with the ae112 with PA support.

Cheers in advance :-)

I borrow a Bergantino 2x12" cab for a gig while I waited for my BF to turn up. I didnt like it. It was a bit too hi-fi for me. To be fair it was a gig so I didnt have time to try out much. I found it was very warm and lacking in the mids for me. The bottom end was very big though. Phnarr.
I stuggled to hear myself clearly. It also had a tweeter which I really dont like.

I cannot comment on the Aguilar or Vanderkley as I haven't had the pleasure as yet.

At my last gig I put 350w into the 8ohm super compact and ended up with the master volume on about one o'clock on my Thunderfunk TB550. There was plenty more left in the amp and the cab.

[quote name='tonyclaret' timestamp='1399284274' post='2442667']
Woah! These look super light and the 3gen with cloth front super cool! But do they also sound super cool? Reading the above it appears so.

How do the bare faced range compare to likes of bergantino, Aguilar, vanderkley?

Currently using a Berg AE112, was thinking of moving it on. (May have seen my thread in this section)

Playing smaller venues at moment with the odd larger gig and have always got by with the ae112 with PA support.

[/quote]

[quote name='tonyclaret' timestamp='1399284274' post='2442667']

[/quote]

I don't have any experience with the brands you've mentioned, bar an aggie once or twice. The SC is 600w at 8 ohms, and I've used it with a shuttle 6 mad 9 (outputting around 350 and 500 respectively)
Even with the 350 watts it can drown out most of the room at rehearsals, which is normally a full kit, a vocal PA (around 4 monitors) and a half stack for the guitar. It can really get very silly loud for its size.

In terms of sound, it will sound how you want it to sound, it's a very neautral cab, not mega clean like the big twin but tonal changes are easier to hear etc. so it'll just amplify what you out into it.
SVT sounds mint through it.

What's it like in the high frequency range? The big baby obviously has the tweeter and extended freq range. If I can live with the compact I'd much prefer the weight saving!

What's the cloth grill like in terms of protection?

To much gas going on here

[quote name='tonyclaret' timestamp='1399441627' post='2444190']
What's it like in the high frequency range? The big baby obviously has the tweeter and extended freq range. If I can live with the compact I'd much prefer the weight saving!

What's the cloth grill like in terms of protection?

To much gas going on here
[/quote]

It's can be very bright, but don't expect glistening open top end. The highs start rolling off at around 3/4khz that's plenty for me.

The cloth grill i don't know but it's supposed to be better than the previous one and I never had issues with that cloth grill either.
I went for the metal grill front.

I have no issues with the highs. I play a passive jazz bass and have been known to slap occasionally.

I prefer the look of the silver cloth and I have added a roqsolid cover. My gear only gets transported by me nowadays. If I was throwing stuff into the back if a van regularly I would go with the metal grill.

Edited by deanovw

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Ozzy' timestamp='1401795070' post='2466868']
I tested the Supercompact. but my old Bergantino HT-112 ER is still superior in many respects, but this is just my opinion.
[/quote]

In which respects is it superior? Build and finish quality go without saying, but what else?

I ask purely out of interest :)

Try to explain in the best possible way, my English is very limited.

The Bergantino is the smallest but it is no less powerful than the BF Supercompact.

barefaced is proud to say that his super compact equivalent to two 12 ", of its rivals.

I disagree, in this case the BF Berg and I are matched in power. in my opinion.

If you like the treble, the Berg has some of the best and sweetest treble.
low to me, are better in the berg. more round and full

The most important. Berg tone I like more than the BF. maybe the ceramic speakers due against neo speakers.
I do not understand frequency or sound engineering things. I am only care what reaches my ears.

Supercompact say that weighs less and it sounds good. but for me not worth waiting so many months in the manufacture and send. there are better options for my,
as Bergantino, Epifani .... and do not expect much. Barefaced also has a money back policy if you do not like supercompact, I do not think so, sorry.
I hope you have understood something, my English is pretty bad, sorry.

Having tried one of the Berg 112 cabs I understand where you are coming from ul in regards to the lows and highs. I'm sure the one I used had a so the highs where better but I'm not one for tweeters.
In regards to the lowe, the Berg sounds very big out the box where as to get the same out of the compact I need to use specific EQ and preamp.

Volume wise I have to disagree, the compact can handle a lot of power and as much as I want a second it really is not needed.

Can anyone comment on how this cabs compares to a Schroeder 1212L?

Ive had my 1212 for a few years but want something a bit more traditional sounding, without loosing too much in the way of volume/presence.

To me the 1212 is like a sledge hammer, it just punches through everything, but i dont find the tone quite as faithful as id like.
If i was to replace it this BF seems like the perfect choice.
I play in a 4 piece covers band, doing social clubs and small scale wedding venues. I have never needed to turn my Markbass head up past 11 o'clock, and quite often not past 9-10 o clock.
I dont have PA support, but dont need it.
I did look in to a BF a couple of years ago but the buld wait time put me off. This time i can wait if i have to.

Appreciate any replies.

My experience was the same as Graham above - though with a regular Compact. It wasn`t enough on its own, though paired with a Midget, well that`s a different story. The Compact was loud enough on its own, but for me not enough depth, plus it was very old-school sounding. The Midget added the extra air, plus the extra snarl. Given that this seems such a great pairing (and recommended by BF, as well as countless others) I wonder why BF haven`t looked into a single cab incorporating the two?

Hmmm, thanks guys. I was worried this might be the case. I'm stuck with using only one cab, and can't afford one of the bigger cabs.
We don't do loud gigs, and I'm normally the loudest anyway, and no where near pushing my rig, but I have had other, larger cabs that couldn't beat the 1212L, so maybe I'm hoping for too much expecting a single driver cab to replace this.
I'll keep investigating though.

[quote name='GRAHAM SG1' timestamp='1402506799' post='2474259']
I play in a rock/blues/punk/pop covers trio with backline and find one super compact not enough with any of my amps, I need two to give me the volume and tone I need to be heard out front.
[/quote]
I find that surprising. I've not had to use it without PA support but at rehearsals it stands alone and if I get too volume happy it definitely starts becoming louder than the kick drum. I use a very mid focused EQ though, and only dial in enough bottom to get the low mid hum on the notes.

I have had no issues with volume or tone when playing live with one of the old compacts or one of the super compacts. I use a Thunderfunk TFB-550 and a passive Jazz bass. This is alongside one of the loudest drummers ever! :D

Thanks again guys.
This weekend im gigging my old Ashdown MAG combo. This will be the first gig in years that ive not used my 1212L.If this works ok ill gwet a better idea if i can get by without the 1212L, and then seriously look around.

Merton. Thanks very much for the kind offer. Ill hold off for now, as i dont want to get GAS too soon, but will keep it in mind.