Why become a member? ×

NCD - Barefaced Gen3 Super Compact

deanovw

I recently took delivery of a Gen3 Super Compact and here it is.

I tried it out at home last night and so far everything seems perfect. Tone wise it is exactly as my previous BF cabs and volume wise there seems to be nothing to worry about.
Previously I have gigged a Gen2 compact and know they can keep up in pub band situations so am really looking forward to taking this one out and making it work for its living.

I will try to remember to update this thread as and when I have things to add.

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1396703343' post='2416585']
I guarantee the cab will be fine at gig volume - I have two and have been told I'm too loud just using one :D

Lovely set up you have btw :)
[/quote]

Thanks Merton. I am very confident that it will be fine on its own.

Why do I have GAS to add another cab to it though! :D

Does anyone know how these compare with the 1x15" barefaced cabinets? I'm getting over my BFC due to the sensitivity (I call it 'flappyness') of the speaker - and the bottom end is a bit boomy. It's AMAZING for convenience but I'm starting to wonder if I can upgrade to a newer model and have convenience + a better and more rounded sound.

Thoughts? If there's not much between them I'll stick with what I have.

[quote name='1970' timestamp='1397294135' post='2422499']
Does anyone know how these compare with the 1x15" barefaced cabinets? I'm getting over my BFC due to the sensitivity (I call it 'flappyness') of the speaker - and the bottom end is a bit boomy. It's AMAZING for convenience but I'm starting to wonder if I can upgrade to a newer model and have convenience + a better and more rounded sound.

Thoughts? If there's not much between them I'll stick with what I have.
[/quote]

My personally opinion is the super compact is miles better than the original.

It has mush better mids dispersion and so it sounds like it is super punchy. Still loads of bottom and has a nice high end response too.
I love it and after the months I've had it I still actually want it. It's everything that was brilliant about the compact and the midget combined.

That`s interesting, I had a Compact & Midget and together they were great, but wasn`t overkeen on either on their own. Very nice to hear that these new Super Compacts have the best of both. One for smaller gigs/rehearsals, two for bigger gigs maybe?

Edited by Lozz196

I concur with Prime, cracking cabs and definitely a leap forward from the previous cabs!

Tbh one cab is probably fine for most people, especially if you're running 300W plus amplification. I run two because I use a 100W valve amp so the extra sensitivity is welcome, but even that with one on its own and PA support is plenty :)

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1397402829' post='2423544']
I concur with Prime, cracking cabs and definitely a leap forward from the previous cabs!

Tbh one cab is probably fine for most people, especially if you're running 300W plus amplification. I run two because I use a 100W valve amp so the extra sensitivity is welcome, but even that with one on its own and PA support is plenty :)
[/quote]

The 300watts or so I push mine with is often too loud for stages, and plenty for rehearsals

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update:

I have taken the super compact out of the house at last. Just one rehearsal so far but I am chuffed to bits. I have previously owned a Gen2 compact and midget so can comment on the difference between the Gen2 and Gen3.
The difference is very noticeable indeed. The sound from the Gen3 super compact is complete I would say, highs, lows, mids, are all there and very nice indeed. I found the Gen2 compact and midget lacking when used on their own but complemented each other very well when used together.
This new compact seems to do everything extremely well. Result.
This new Gen3 super compact is what I wanted the Gen2 compact to be. For my needs it is the perfect cab.

Oh,and its really really small and light.

:D

[quote name='sifi2112' timestamp='1398540023' post='2435124']
Can you (or anyone) comment on how the Super Compact handles a 5 string esp low A ?
And keep the reviews coming :)
[/quote]

Well it handles a B absolutely fine if that helps?!

It all helps :) really interested in these Gen3 cabs as I used to have a S12T which was great, so if these are better maybe just one 12 will suffice (esp as my power amp bridges at 8 Ohms) As you've gathered I play in drop A but just a tad concerned how one SC can handle that ...

I went from an S12 to two SCs and they kick out more bottom end I think :)

EDIT - thinking about it, it's actually that the SC is less "harsh" sounding, though even that is the wrong term. The S12 was am immense cab and never complained about what I threw at it, the SCs are more of the same but with a slightly fuller sound :)

Edited by Merton