Why become a member? ×

Position of left elbow and arm and fretting hand

bass2345

Recently I have started to play with my elbow on the left arm (that's the one connected to my fretting hand) lower than I would have it naturally. In that position it seems to be easier to properly play the E string on the bass. Also my shoulder drops - probably to lower than my right shoulder. I've noticed that this possibly stretches or perhaps even puts a bit of strain on some muscles, different to those which feel stretched when that elbow is higher. Lowering my left elbow might also mean less of my hand is on the bass neck, but I'm not sure.

Is this a good way to play? Is it better? Is it bad posture?

Pictures would be useful. However, I think the fact you are thinking about this shows some awareness of what is going on in your body and that is never a bad thing. I would say, try to keep your body, as a whole, as balanced as possible. That way you will avoid straining any one part of it. Prolonged strain is what causes problems in the future. You could also look at how you use your fretting arm/hand. That is part of the balance. Awareness is the key though and you seem to have that.

Edited by BassBus

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1396774228' post='2417093']
Perhaps the bass needs to go up rather than elbow go down. Perhaps the tilt of the bass needs to change - less horizontal, lift the headstock.
[/quote]

I agree. Having the headstock up at an angle allows the forearm to get under your fretting hand, and thus keep a reasonably straight wrist. I try to keep the body of the bass low enough that I can keep the wrist of my plucking hand straight without having to lift my elbow too high.