Why become a member? ×

'79 USA CF Martin EB-18
£2600

Shaggy

All priced on basis of collection from near Swansea, (though I drive to E Anglia occasionally) - can post at cost within UK. Open to trade offers; vintage basses, guitars, mandolins, amps.......

(1) First up: *Edit - now TRADED* 1985 Gibson Explorer bass in Ferrari red. All-original apart from one tuner (replaced with a Schaller), and small area of paintwork adjacent to the bridge p/up has been re-touched, as over-enthusiastic use of plectrum by a previous owner had exposed a 50p-sized area of wood. With original and essential Gibson hard case (a bit tatty, but functional). A fair bit of checking and wear in the finish, but overall in decent condition. (NB: sticker on body in some of the pics now removed, and didn’t cover anything!)

· Body – alder, Ferrari red finish
· Neck – set maple neck, medium-scale (32”), fretted rosewood board.
· Pickups – 2 x single coil, Gibson-logo black plastic covers (same units as Grabber bass)
· Bridge – chromed Gibson-logo Schaller (similar to 3-D but chunkier)
· Tuners - chromed Gibson-logo Schaller, 4 in-line
· Controls – passive V-V-T, black “top hat” speed knobs, output jack at body side.

These are incredibly under-rated basses; it’s easy to overlook the substance because of the style (IMHO: THE most iconic shape in rock, along with the Fender P). That body is a really ergonomic shape for playing finger-style – you can rest your right palm on the upper body bout, and the medium-scale neck is lightning-fast. Huge sound; the tone is really more Fender than Gibson, I guess thanks to the alder body, maple neck, and single coil pickups.

I’ve gigged this in a rock power trio and a very trad blues / R&B band and it’s suited both perfectly. And it sounds clichéd but it’s true; this is the one you totally feel like a rock star when you put it on…… B)
£800 - PRICE DROP £750

Edited by Shaggy

(2) Next up -

1979 CF Martin EB-18.
A rare bird this one; E-series was Martin’s last foray into the world of solid-body electrics. USA-made, 100% original, in excellent nick, with OHSC.

· Body – solid maple, with walnut central contrast laminations, natural finish
· Neck – set one-piece mahogany neck, long-scale (34”), fretted rosewood board. Rosewood veneer to front of headstock
· Pickups – single DiMarzio Model One humbucker, crème plastic cover.
· Bridge – chromed Badass unit (original model)
· Tuners - chromed Grover Titans, 2 + 2
· Controls – passive V & T, phase switch, chromed brass knobs, output jack at body side.

Typical Alembic-inspired late ‘70’s styling, but very funky I think. This one of the early models with the CF Martin logo branded into the rear of the body by the neck heel. Solid and beautifully constructed, tonally quite Precision-like with rather more sustain.
NB: includes letter from Martin USA to previous owner dating the bass by serial no

£800 - ********Price drop £700********

Edited by Shaggy

(3) Next -
Custom Thunderbird *WITHDRAWN*

This has been my main gigging bass over the last couple of years; it’s gradually morphed from a Fenderbird with P/J pickups into a rather special Thunderbird.

· Body – Warmoth one piece mahogany, book-matched cocobolo top with ebony pin-stripe between, gloss poly finish
· Neck – maple, bolt-on, Epiphone (Korean I think) made, long-scale (34”), mahogany poly finish, fretted rosewood board.
· Pickups – 2 x Thunderbucker “66” humbuckers, nickel-silver covers
· Bridge – chromed solid brass “tune-o-matic” bridge and separate stop tailpiece (like ‘60’s T’birds)
· Tuners - chromed Gibson-logo Schaller M4S’s, from ‘80’s Gibson Victory bass, 4 in-line
· Controls – passive V-V-T, chromed brass knobs (solid cocobolo knobs fitted if preferred), output jack at body side.

This was built so that I wouldn’t have to gig my 1965 Gibson Thunderbird IV, and in all honesty it sounds even sweeter than the ’65; nothing short of a Mike Lull will sound as good as this does. Main reason is the pickups; Thunderbuckers are hand-made to order in the US, reverse-engineered from original ‘60’s units – cost me around £300 for the pair, but boy are they worth it…..
The only flaws are purely cosmetic and not obvious; (1) the neck-pocket on the body is Fender-fit, but the Epi neck is around 2mm narrower. So there’s a tiny gap between edges of neck and body, which I was going to fill with a couple of slivers of dark hard-wood, but haven’t got around to it. (2) same goes for the neck-pickup cavity, which was originally routed for a P pick-up – narrow gap at the backt of the pick-up ring. Likewise, was going to sort with a sliver of hardwood. Neither affects performance in the least.
The polished aluminium-alloy “pickguard” which I’ve pictured, I got and never fitted (NO screw-holes!), will throw in included in price if wanted; it comes with a separate matt black back-plate but looks better without.

In a really robust as-new Thoman soft case, but if posting I’d prefer to ship with neck off.
EDIT: Now with a Gibson logo TRC, blank one included

£450 collected (S Wales, or meet en route with regular drive Swansea < > Cambridge), shipping on top

Edited by Shaggy

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1396805194' post='2417529']
I recognise that P pup! :P
[/quote]

Lol - yes, and very nice it is! :)
Plan certainly wasn't to sell on this quick......

• 1 month later...

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1400010625' post='2449933']
Martin...mmmmm...
[/quote]

'Tis luverly! :)

Driving from S Wales to E Anglia next weekend type bump.....

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1400355187' post='2453204']
I nearly bought one from Johnny Roadhouse a few years ago....still tempted, if skint.
[/quote]

I know that feeling...... :(
One at V&R for almost £1200 - I'd do mine for £750

Edited first post for possible trade offers

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Samashton12' timestamp='1404217939' post='2490383']
Oh god, I wish i had £500.

That's a beautiful 'bird, Shaggy. :gas:
[/quote]

Thanks for the good words Sam!
Open to offers and trades..... :)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='surfguy13' timestamp='1406122182' post='2508522']
I have a '78 EB-18 and it really is a superb bass.....different, but just a real joy to play. Somewhere between a P and a J with the phase switch. Good luck with the sale!!! :)
[/quote]

Thanks surfguy! Something special about Martins you can't appreciate in pics; this feels just as "crafted" as my series 1 Alembic, albeit simpler

NB; I used to live in Ely (Broad st), though not a native "Fenner" - cool place! Still go to the market when I go back to visit

[quote name='Shaggy' timestamp='1406225457' post='2509579']
Thanks surfguy! Something special about Martins you can't appreciate in pics; this feels just as "crafted" as my series 1 Alembic, albeit simpler

NB; I used to live in Ely (Broad st), though not a native "Fenner" - cool place! Still go to the market when I go back to visit
[/quote]

Yup, the EB-18 looks a little plain and 70s'ish but it feels and sounds amazing. I think Martin didn't quite get the [i]look[/i] right in this case but what the hell - it does look a bit 70s but I quite like that and let's face it, 70s retro seems to be the flavour of the month again!

Blimey, another fenny! :) There's a few of us out there although I have to say it's my adopted home. Great place to live though!

[quote name='surfguy13' timestamp='1406278353' post='2509992']

Yup, the EB-18 looks a little plain and 70s'ish but it feels and sounds amazing. I think Martin didn't quite get the [i]look[/i] right in this case but what the hell - it does look a bit 70s but I quite like that and let's face it, 70s retro seems to be the flavour of the month again!

Blimey, another fenny! :) There's a few of us out there although I have to say it's my adopted home. Great place to live though!
[/quote]

The styling was what pulled me to it - being mainly a Gibson player I liked the Gibson-esque construction (mahogany set neck, big humbucker) plus looks a tad like a non-reverse T-bird. I think there was a later twin pickup version

Looking forwards to an Abbott Ale or two next time I'm Cambridge /Ely way..... :)

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1406236101' post='2509729']
Shaggy- you got a Series1!? Wow....
[/quote]

Yup, a '76 long-scale - sadly my GAS has always outweighed my talent....... :(

• 2 weeks later...