Why become a member? ×

MXR M82 - Possible Sub Bass Sounds???

Jag_Bassist

hey guys,

I'm looking to replace my moog Low Pass Filter with a similar pedal. reason for this is i use the moog actually as a really subby sound instead of using the filter. i set the resonance and envelope amount to nothing, mix to 10 and just filter all the high end out which is a great sub by sound. the problem is to get this i have to boost the drive knob a lot and with the pedal the drive is active even when the pedal is off meaning the pedal has to be put through a bypass looper in order for this to work in my setup.

i was looking at MXR M82 and was wondering does anyone know if it could get this sound? no audible filter sound just a static dub sound?

if anyone has one could they give it a try?

if not a possible alternative? not looking for a pedal to do an octave down just what the moog does in a much smaller footprint.

Cheers Guys !

Edited by Jag_Bassist

How low are you setting the cutoff? I'd maybe try to boost your clean signal going into the moog.
I have the drive set to 10 o'clock & in bypass mode it's pretty clean. The Cutoff's usually set to just above 9 o'clock on mine, but I use an expression pedal & bring the top in for wubs, etc.
I know Shep (Pantherairsoft) has tried countless filters & hoped to find something smaller than the moog, but nothing has the moog's sound or flexibility.

Sounds like a good excuse to post this video again. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTmAnGzNQxE

i have my cut off at just below 250 and with anything less that 2 o'clock on the drive its too quiet when the pedal is engaged. the problem is i don't want to be stomping on another pedal to boost the signal before the moog, because its still taking up that space on the board =(

Edited by Jag_Bassist

Markbass have the super booster with the character filters on and a level boost.

The VLE is a cut that starts and 20kHz and goes down to 250Hz and then with VPFs mid cut you can cut some more out, and obviously boost at the end, one pedal, true bypass.

At the same time, majority of EQ pedals will do the same thing, with the 250Hz< boosted and everything else cut.

The moog for me sounded mint, very thick in sound and that nice analog warmness. But MBs character filters are nice too

That's a good point about the MB filters. I've turned both filters up (the VPF increases the lows & top & cuts the mids) & then turned the treble down too & got some wonderfully subby sounds (I have a LMII).
It is different from the moog though, but might be worth a try.

There isn't another filter that sounds like the moog. It's straight out the model D minimoog (which is part of what gives moog it's sound.
Shep's closest alternative that sounded similar was the Iron Ether filter, but he still uses the Moog.

Edited by xgsjx

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1396819699' post='2417751']
It does seem odd that you need to have the drive up that high. I can't recall if there's a trim pot in it for the input. I'll have a look on Tuesday & let you know.
[/quote]

did you manage to check the moog mate?

[quote name='Jag_Bassist' timestamp='1396997719' post='2419704']
thanks! really appreciate it.
[/quote]

I've had a look... There's not a trim pot inside. :(

It would be worth finding someone else with one (even a shop) & comparing yours along side to see if there's a volume difference as I've not had any volume issues.
Have you tried it on its own?

• 1 year later...

i have just purchased the Moog MF boost. Not only does it add a subtle amount of delicious overdrive, it also has a low pass filter that sounds super sweet!!!

Very useful pedal. sounds great with my synth too :)

but in response to your original Q, the M87 can be used as a lowpass. Set the sensitivity to min so the filter docent open, then adjust the frequency of the cut with the decay control. decay is actually controlling the frequency to which the filter sweep returns at fully closed. The Q control can be used to add a small amount of boost just before the cutoff which i find very useful.

i use mine as an envelope filter tho :)

Edited by GisserD

[quote name='GisserD' timestamp='1451904308' post='2944357']
i have just purchased the Moog MF boost. Not only does it add a subtle amount of delicious overdrive, it also has a low pass filter that sounds super sweet!!!
[/quote]

Does it really work like a low pass filter? If so this could be the pedal I'm looking for. I'll try one out this week and see

the manual says the tone control acts as a [color=#000000][font=Roboto, sans-serif][size=3]165 Hz - 20KHz Lowpass Filter at 6dB/Octave.[/size][/font][/color]

I used it at a reggae rehersal last night and loved it thru my Eden rig. its exactly the pedal ive been looking for for sure. the overdrive sounds at higher gain settings sound lush, and used with the lowpass, i got some really subby usable tones.

[quote name='GisserD' timestamp='1451998937' post='2945310']
the manual says the tone control acts as a [color=#000000][font=Roboto, sans-serif][size=3]165 Hz - 20KHz Lowpass Filter at 6dB/Octave.[/size][/font][/color]

I used it at a reggae rehersal last night and loved it thru my Eden rig. its exactly the pedal ive been looking for for sure. the overdrive sounds at higher gain settings sound lush, and used with the lowpass, i got some really subby usable tones.
[/quote]

Are you using an expression pedal with it? I was personally looking at the MoogerFooger LPF to create LFOs and 'wubs'. this would be much smaller and cheaper if it can do this sort of thing.

No. Do not be confused, the moog boost is a static filter. Just cuts the highs at a certain frequency. The frequency is set by the knob, and cannot be controlled with the exp. You can controll the gain with an expression pedal, but nothing else.

I use a source audio manta for my wubs. And a bloody good job it does too. Especially when fed a signal from a synth. The manta is a crazy flexible envelope filter pedal with distortion built in. It's almost build for wubs. But you also get great filter funk and phasers from it too.

[quote name='GisserD' timestamp='1452008958' post='2945465']
No. Do not be confused, the moog boost is a static filter. Just cuts the highs at a certain frequency. The frequency is set by the knob, and cannot be controlled with the exp. You can controll the gain with an expression pedal, but nothing else.

I use a source audio manta for my wubs. And a bloody good job it does too. Especially when fed a signal from a synth. The manta is a crazy flexible envelope filter pedal with distortion built in. It's almost build for wubs. But you also get great filter funk and phasers from it too.
[/quote]

Ah ok, not what Im looking for then. Thanks!