Why become a member? ×

Ashdown MiBass 2.0 any info ?

mike 110

Hey mate,
I recently got one, and 2 Mi10 cabs to go with it, I'm very happy with it too.
It seems plenty loud, although I haven't put it up against a live band yet.
The amp has a nice natural tone to it, keeping the gain clean its quite hifi, but you can crank the gain for some lovely overdrive which gives you a much warmer old school tone.
The EQ section is simple and doesn't make any extreme changes, it's quite subtle but I like it, not a big fan of massive over the top EQs anyway.
The headphone out/aux in is very useful.
Its small, light and built like a tiny tank, plus you get a 5 year warranty, what's not to like?! :)

[attachment=159719:MiBass_Rig.jpg]

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1396966452' post='2419204']
Hey mate,
I recently got one, and 2 Mi10 cabs to go with it, I'm very happy with it too.
It seems plenty loud, although I haven't put it up against a live band yet.
The amp has a nice natural tone to it, keeping the gain clean its quite hifi, but you can crank the gain for some lovely overdrive which gives you a much warmer old school tone.
The EQ section is simple and doesn't make any extreme changes, it's quite subtle but I like it, not a big fan of massive over the top EQs anyway.
The headphone out/aux in is very useful.
Its small, light and built like a tiny tank, plus you get a 5 year warranty, what's not to like?! :)

[attachment=159719:MiBass_Rig.jpg]

Eude
[/quote]

Thanks Eude , I'm a complete beginner when it comes to rigs , I've only ever had combo's so its all new to me really . but this looks and sounds like it could be a bit tasty . I like a warm old school type sound ,Classic Rock style I suppose . My combo at the mo is a Marshall MB150 . I like the Ashdown sound , having tried a Rig in a local music shop and thought this might be worth a try at £300 .

I'm not gigging but the bands guitarist who I jam with has a Blackstar 120 watt amp which can get pretty loud . I'm wondering what size cab I would need to enable the MiBass to hold its own , as gigging may arise at some point . The blurb says 640 watt max I think ..? That might be a tad overkill but maybe around 300 - 400 watt ?

This is probably the most bargainous rig out there at the mo!

The wattage rating of a cab has nothing to do with how loud it can go, it will tell you how many watts you can pump through it before it will break, and they are usually expressed in average RMS values. Also, a 4 ohm cab will let the head run at full power of 400W RMS, whereas the head will only be producing just over half of that when pushing an 8 ohm cab. You probably want a 4-ohm 2x12 or 4x10 with a power rating of at least 400W, ideally a bit more.

This looks like a good deal: [url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Ashdown-MAG414T-Deep-Bass-Amp-Cab/C5W"]http://www.gear4musi...ass-Amp-Cab/C5W[/url]

Otherwise, a couple of 12" cabs would cost a bit more but would be easier to cart about and would give you an option of just taking the one to quiet gigs / rehearsals (2x 8 ohm cabs equals a 4 ohm load): [url="http://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-cabs/pid24233/cid686/ashdown-mibass-mi12-1x12-cab.asp"]http://www.andertons...12-1x12-cab.asp[/url]

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='mike 110' timestamp='1396970437' post='2419264']
Thanks Eude , I'm a complete beginner when it comes to rigs , I've only ever had combo's so its all new to me really . but this looks and sounds like it could be a bit tasty . I like a warm old school type sound ,Classic Rock style I suppose . My combo at the mo is a Marshall MB150 . I like the Ashdown sound , having tried a Rig in a local music shop and thought this might be worth a try at £300 .

I'm not gigging but the bands guitarist who I jam with has a Blackstar 120 watt amp which can get pretty loud . I'm wondering what size cab I would need to enable the MiBass to hold its own , as gigging may arise at some point . The blurb says 640 watt max I think ..? That might be a tad overkill but maybe around 300 - 400 watt ?
[/quote]

The amp will do that classic rock sound for sure.
Check out the video at the bottom of this review >> http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/20085-ashdown-mibass-20-and-mi12-cabinet-reviews
Ignore the review's comments about the lack of a 4 ohm output though, it'll deliver 4 ohms if you connect up 2 8 ohm cabs...
I'm fairly sure it'll do 4 ohms if you connect up a single 4 ohm cab too.

My advice would be to get a single cab for now, perhaps a Mi12? You could always add another to get the full juice out of it.

Just a note, its 640W absolute peak, with distortion, but it can't produce that continuously, so it's actually a 440W amp, which is more than enough for most reasonable applications.
Oh, and if your guitarist is using all 120W of that amp for a jam he needs his ears syringed, bloody hell!

Eude

Pretty much every solid state head comes with a pair of 8 ohm outputs, and you can hook one of those up to a 4 ohm cab no trouble, I assume this can do the same.

The only amps that come with a selection of different outputs where you need to be careful which one you're plugging into are proper heavy tube amps.

Pretty much any amp would work with any cab, no need to stick to a single manufacturer, let alone a single range. For example, I pair up an Orange head with Ampeg cabs. It is nice to have a matching setup though, especially when they are as cheap as Ashdown are knocking them out for these days.

Edited by dannybuoy

I've been considering a Mibass 2.0 for a backup head. This is the best buy I could find: http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/Ashdown_MIBass_2.0s_Bass_Amplifier_Head/ASH-MIBASS-2.0S

I also came across this offer on a Mibass 550: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASHDOWN-MiBass-550-Head-Bassamp-inkl-Tasche-/371024738355?pt=Amps&hash=item5662cc3833

I've just ordered this little beauty :) Now all I need to do is raise some cash for a Cab ! Or 2 !!

I don't know anything about speaker combinations and the sounds they make , so in my own little noob/numpty way I'm going to ask for your help again guys :rolleyes:
I like a bassy , warm sound so what would be my ideal set up ? 4 x10 , 2x12 , 2x15 ????? All at 4 ohms I'm assuming .

Also , am I right in assuming that if it's 2 cabs they both have to be the same wattage ?

They don't have to be the same wattage, but bear in mind the amps power will be split between them, so if you had an amp that put out 400W into 4 ohms, you'd want two 8-ohm cabs rated at least 200W each.

In general, many 15s are deeper and bassier than 10s, but this is not always the case, it depends on the speaker and cabinet design and also if there is a horn/tweeter.

A decent 1x15 will do you for most small pub type gigs. My favourite setup is a vertical 2x12 though, as it'll cope with larger venues, doesn't take up as much floor space as a 4x10 or a pair of 1x15s, and the vertical stacking arrangement means both you and the crowd can hear you better.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1397486823' post='2424372']
They don't have to be the same wattage, but bear in mind the amps power will be split between them, so if you had an amp that put out 400W into 4 ohms, you'd want two 8-ohm cabs rated at least 200W each.

In general, many 15s are deeper and bassier than 10s, but this is not always the case, it depends on the speaker and cabinet design and also if there is a horn/tweeter.

A decent 1x15 will do you for most small pub type gigs. My favourite setup is a vertical 2x12 though, as it'll cope with larger venues, doesn't take up as much floor space as a 4x10 or a pair of 1x15s, and the vertical stacking arrangement means both you and the crowd can hear you better.
[/quote]

Thanks for that Dannybuoy , vertical 2x12 sounds good ! Regarding the design , is the physical depth of the cab a major factor in the sound or has that more to do with the speaker ? Ashdown seem to have a good range of cabs , with both deep and slim designs .

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1397567026' post='2425194']
How about one of these?
[url="http://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-guitar-amps/pid31441/cid561/ashdown-vs115-1-x-15-bass-cab.asp"]http://www.andertons...15-bass-cab.asp[/url]
If weight isn't an issue, might be perfect.
[/quote]
Cheers Eude , the weight may be an issue , but that is rather nice ! Love the colour :)

[quote name='mike 110' timestamp='1397671558' post='2426359']
Cheers Eude , the weight may be an issue , but that is rather nice ! Love the colour :)
[/quote]

If weight is an issue, you should check out the Mi12 cab then.
The Mi10 is proper light, and the 12 isn't that much heavier, although it is a fair bit bigger.
It'd be a very good match for your MiBass 2.0 and you can always add a second cab is necessary?...

Cheers,
Eude

• 3 weeks later...

In my bid to finally owning a small, medium & large rig I'm just waiting on a Mi 12 - £199 from Andertons, mid May delivery.
Getting one for the small rig, lighter set up, smaller gigs and rehearsals etc. Will use my GB STL900 with it so hoping it will sound alright, obviously at lower volumes ;)... Also hoping GAS will be cured for sometime too :P