Why become a member? ×

Big E MA45

TPJ

I know a few on here own these. Are you using them exclusively for DB? Do you run your electric bass through it as well? If you don't use it exclusively for DB, the why not? :)

I want to replace my Mesa Walkabout Scout 12 and get a new speaker that can cover DB gigs and function gigs on electric bass. Niether of the bands is "loud". I'm wondering about getting a MAS45 and using it with an AI Focus head or a Little Mark II as a nice clear speaker that can cover both bands. Thoughts?

I have a MA45 - it's only used for DB gigs as I don't play those little basses live anymore!

I've tried the MA45 with electric bass at home and compared it with a BFM Omni10.5 and an Acoustic Image Contra - I much prefered the sound of the Omni 10.5 over the other two cabs. That's not to say that the MA45 sounded rubbish, it just didn't sound as good. Not suprising really as the MA45 is specifically voiced for double bass.
Mike Arnapol recommends the MA45 for DB only gigs and the MA46 for electric/double bass doublers, so why not get a 46?

I plumped for a 45 as I will only be playing double bass for the forseeable future, but if I had the choice again, I'd buy a 46, just for the extra volume and versatility

Dave

Thanks for the reply Dave. I was looking at the 46 as well but it's that another couple of hundred $ plus it looks that much bigger. I've been sifting through all the TB threads about the BigE cabs and my head is now spinning :)

Hmm. I'm not sure if the 46 is 'that' much bigger than the 45. But it is definitely more expensive.....

Bear in mind that although I thought he sound through the Omni 10.5 was much better than the MA45, the Omni 10.5 is a very flat cab whereas the MA45 is 'voiced' - the MA45 still sounded fine (if a little vintagey) with the electric bass, the Omni just sounded better to my ears.