Why become a member? ×

Ashdown + celestion?

ashevans09

hmmm.. i couldnt answer that question, but the proximity of Celestion to Ashdown sites would probably make it a viable option for Ashdown to at least use an OEM from Celestion.

[quote name='dood' post='24911' date='Jun 29 2007, 02:25 PM']hmmm.. i couldnt answer that question, but the proximity of Celestion to Ashdown sites would probably make it a viable option for Ashdown to at least use an OEM from Celestion.[/quote]

I can definitely tell you that they never did...

Er, early Ashdowns used Celestions (my old MAG cab had 'em and the Klystrons did), but all the Blueline speakers are made in Italy to Ashdwon specs, the name of the comapny has escaped me for a second tho. Don't know if the ABM series (as opposed to the original Klystrons) came out before or after the Blueline speakers tho.

i would be interested to know the specs of the speakers in the ashdown stuff, particularly the mag stuff.
i might be wrong but i heard or read somewhere that the blueline stuff was jensen, that may have just been a loose link cos jensen did make blue speakers at one point (maybe still do).
but the original speakers in the ashdown stuff were standard black.
oh and is it right that the abm bluelines are different to the mag blues? the center dome certainly looks bigger on the abms.

Edited by lowhand_mike

The earliest Ashdown ABM cabs definitely DID come with Celestion drivers. Here's a quote from an interview with Mark Gooday from December 2000:

"One change to the range this year is that the Celestion speakers that graced all the cabs have been replaced with the very distinctive looking Blueline speakers. Celestion make very good speakers but I was trying to get something a little bit better and they weren’t that much better or different sounding to what I’d used prior with Trace. I’d put a lot of effort into making better cabinets, better speakers in the same sort of price range and I went over to Italy and spent two or three days there, over the course of two years and probably fifty or sixty different samples of tens twelve’s and fifteen’s, we actually built what I would say were significantly better speakers to suit my price.

Celestion right now are nearly there again, they’re using what we’ve done and they’re very close but there’s still this tone that I can’t swear is a Celestion but I can hear it in my ears. So I’m happy with my own speakers now with bigger magnets and thicker cones. The blue covering was actually a protective coating that we spray the cones with so we said well we might as well do it in a tint."

[quote name='nedsbeds' post='25417' date='Jun 30 2007, 10:26 PM']The current speakers are made by sica.[/quote]

some of the early essex built cabs did..... but no the fully fledged production models..... some players wanted celestions so there were bulk purchases to get the pricing which may have led to them using the remainder of the product in those cabs...... production models did not though.

opened up my mag combo last night (just took the handle off the side and had a look, will post some pics later if you are interested. what worried me was that the drivers just say they are 100 watts and arew 16 ohms each (2x10) so are they ok handling the 200 or so watts that the amp chucks out at 8ohms and the 307watts when you add another cab? i would have thought the rating would need to be 200watts per driver or do the 2 drivers add up to 200watts? i'm a numpty in this area.

i've oversimplified this a bit, but basically the power is split between all the speakers (so two 100w speakers can handle 200w).
It is possible to damage your speakers in the combo but it would be distorting horribly and you would be silly to have it turned up that high anyway. The amp doesn't put out 200 watts to the speakers all the time. So, if it's distorting, turn down. Otherwise, you don't need to worry.

ok here are a couple of interior pics of my mag, box is very solid even if is made of chip board and as can bee seen has a center brace front to back, the tweeter is boxed in at the top

and there are a couple of shots of the speakers them selves, we all know what they look like from the front so heres the arse end

That's interesting - when I contacted Mark, he told me that they were using Fane drivers which I didn't trust not to blow.

i was right, I blew one within a couple of months gigging.

I used to always be able to trust celestions and now feel comfortable trusting the Eminence Delta 500w 4ohm driver in my ABM115 cab after the loud as hell gig I did last Friday without any PA!

[quote name='nedsbeds' post='27776' date='Jul 6 2007, 09:26 AM']Blimey. It looks like they have used just about everyone at some point!
I had a new 15" from them 2 years ago and it was a sica. came in a celestion box though :huh:[/quote]
And just to confuse the issue further, we mustn't discount the possibility that Celestion were sub-contracting work out to Sica - or vice versa! :)

another thing iwas wondering is would these boxes benifit from having some kind of padding/wadding applied to the inside? would it tightne the sound or just kill it? and what would you use. obviously doing it would be tricky as the only ways in are through the speaker holes and where the side handles are.