Why become a member? ×

Xotic SP Compressor

PauBass

I've not tried either of them, but SFX also do a micro compressor, although it's not listed on the site.

[IMG]http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll268/photomx/Micro-pedals/micro-comp01.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1397103122' post='2420650']
I've not tried either of them, but SFX also do a micro compressor, although it's not listed on the site.

[IMG]http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll268/photomx/Micro-pedals/micro-comp01.jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]

Not anymore...I got in touch with Max and he said he's not making those anymore :(

Edited by PauBass

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1397116417' post='2420710']
I imagine they must've been a nightmare to build!
[/quote]
I think you might be right, not easy mounting everything on such a small enclosure.

No experiences with the Xotic SP anyone?

Edited by PauBass

I have one and it's a keeper, even if I hardly use it. works very well with very little to zero noise on bass and guitar and once you've found "your" setting with the pins it's difficult to get a bad compression out of it.
THE feature is the parallel compresion blend which I usually leave on 40% wet to just fatten up my sound a bit without losing the original dynamics.

[quote name='krysh' timestamp='1397136552' post='2421040']
I have one and it's a keeper, even if I hardly use it. works very well with very little to zero noise on bass and guitar and once you've found "your" setting with the pins it's difficult to get a bad compression out of it.
THE feature is the parallel compresion blend which I usually leave on 40% wet to just fatten up my sound a bit without losing the original dynamics.
[/quote]

Thanks!
I might pull the trigger and order one. :gas:

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1397147400' post='2421193']
Read this?

[url="http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/xoticsp.shtml"]http://www.ovnilab.c...s/xoticsp.shtml[/url]
[/quote]

Yes hence the SP was my choice when the Micro Comp option failed :) ...thanks anyway!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='krysh' timestamp='1397136552' post='2421040']
[/quote]

Just wondering what setting you are using on the internal switches.

I'm getting a bit confused since the controls are labelled differently than other compressors, Low/High for the Attack and Long/Short for the Release Time.
I'm want more of my natural note attack to go through so I can still have good articulation and dynamics.
Any advice on settings to achieve it?

Edited by PauBass

What about Faifield Circuitry´s "The Accountant"? I have not tried it, but it looks good.

http://fairfieldcircuitry.com/products/the-accountant

http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/account.shtml

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1400355799' post='2453212']

I'm getting a bit confused since the controls are labelled differently than other compressors, Low/High for the Attack and Long/Short for the Release Time.
I'm want more of my natural note attack to go through so I can still have good articulation and dynamics.
[/quote]

If you are using the blend a bit then set the attack to have the shortest response(I'd assume it's high) and the release as long as possible.

The dry blend will bring back the note dynamic and the wet will have the fattier and more sustained note.
I use a much bigger parallel compression and have the comp set to be basically on all the time, squish the dynamics down a bit and bring the rest up. Not much point in having to mess with attack and release when you a blending dry back in.

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1400355799' post='2453212']

[/quote]

hi paubass,
I'm happy with these settings:

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1400364359' post='2453298']
If you are using the blend a bit then set the attack to have the shortest response(I'd assume it's high) and the release as long as possible.

The dry blend will bring back the note dynamic and the wet will have the fattier and more sustained note.
I use a much bigger parallel compression and have the comp set to be basically on all the time, squish the dynamics down a bit and bring the rest up. Not much point in having to mess with attack and release when you a blending dry back in.
[/quote]

Thanks for the advice.
Yes, the control names are a bit confusing...I might send Xotic an email and ask them
[quote name='krysh' timestamp='1400408915' post='2453502']
hi paubass,
I'm happy with these settings:

[/quote]

Thank you!
Is the switch on the High setting?