Why become a member? ×

loud enough?

Perry

[quote name='Perry' timestamp='1397081770' post='2420573']
Using a Fender Rumble 350w 2x10 combo. No option for ext cab and PA won't handle the DI.

Would an active sub sound ok from my DI?
[/quote]

Why won't the PA handle the DI? I used to DI my rumble into a desk with no issues

IMHO if your 350w isn't enough to be heard over the band then 'everyone' is likely playing too loud, which in turn means that if you want to continue playing at those volumes then you may need to look at upgrading your PA so that it can handle the job of amplifying the band and your combo can go back to its job of being a monitor for the bass. Just an outsiders view of the 'likely' issues. ;)

If the PA is good enough to handle everything, I would suggest keep the onstage volume low and let the PA do the job. Reason for doing this so everyone will be able to hear themselves and enjoy playing and also good for your ears as well.

If you and your other band mates keep fighting for volume, then everyone will be frustrate when playing.

Either upgrade the PA or upgrade your amp. Unless you are playing big venues and have a soundman adjusting your levels who knows what they're doing and is positioned to hear everything out front, I would just upgrade the amp, with a cab that's light and loud and designed for good dispersion throughout the room - like a Barefaced perhaps.

I would say that, generally, a 210 is not man enough for a punchy band.
There are gigs it will handle well enough, of course, but a loud pub it will not.
Depends on your definition of 'handle' as well.

A sub will help if used in conjunction with the output of the combo but it needs to be passive
to take a load and help the 10's.

Can the Rumble not handle an ext cab..???

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1397122361' post='2420805']
Would expect that...and I think you'd get that effect if you added another 210
[/quote]
maybe so, I've not tried it as I'm happy with what I've got, and 1 x 15 is cheaper than 2 x 10, generally anyway

Is your PA feed coming from a mixer? Couldn't you put the DI from the bass into a channel on the mixer and turn down the treble and middle on the EQ for that channel? You'd essentially be creating a low-pass filter (and thereby filtering out the highs, so now good if you want to pop and click and slap your bass to death).
Of course, you would probably benefit from middle and treble too and not just low low bass - unless you're doing reggae?

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1397115289' post='2420693']
IMHO if your 350w isn't enough to be heard over the band then 'everyone' is likely playing too loud, which in turn means that if you want to continue playing at those volumes then you may need to look at upgrading your PA so that it can handle the job of amplifying the band and your combo can go back to its job of being a monitor for the bass. Just an outsiders view of the 'likely' issues. ;)
[/quote]
There's more than a grain of truth in this. I use a 2x10 with 300W and never struggle for volume, I've no idea what the Fender sounds like but it should be enough. The problem may be the guitarists, you only need to match the drummer who of course can't turn up. If you match the drums and can't hear then no-one can hear the drums either and you will sound poor whatever you do. Turn down the guitar amps and the band will sound like a band.

The other problem may be where the bass amp is pointing. Bass goes everywhere but the mids and tops from you cab are what you need to pick yourself out from the mix, move the cab or yourself so it points at your ears.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1397148513' post='2421209']

There's more than a grain of truth in this. I use a 2x10 with 300W and never struggle for volume, I've no idea what the Fender sounds like but it should be enough. The problem may be the guitarists, you only need to match the drummer who of course can't turn up. If you match the drums and can't hear then no-one can hear the drums either and you will sound poor whatever you do. Turn down the guitar amps and the band will sound like a band.

The other problem may be where the bass amp is pointing. Bass goes everywhere but the mids and tops from you cab are what you need to pick yourself out from the mix, move the cab or yourself so it points at your ears.
[/quote]

Very much this.

I used to have a Rumble 210 350w and it very much held its own in a band. Our drummer was pretty clueless regards volume and it kept up with him. I never had it at more than half volume. They're good loud combos with a good tone.

If you're needing to go through the PA and the PA won't handle it, you need a different PA.

[quote name='Perry' timestamp='1397151168' post='2421241']
Many thanks for all of your advice.

It's my 1st gig and I guess that it's just nerves and me worrying. I will probably see how it goes before upgrading.

Being a tightarse I could try and talk the band into upgrading the PA.
[/quote]
Don't worry about it & enjoy the gig.
My first gig was through a Carlsbro 90 watt head into an unknown 15" cab & it was fun (that was about 30 years ago :( ).

I now gig with a 2x10 combo & have no probs being heard.

I had one of the Fender Bassman 210s, that came just before the Rumbles. Plenty of power, on-stage volume to keep up with the drummer was on about 3 or 4 if I recall correctly. And as Phil says, that`s all you need to match.

If you are shoved into a corner, you could put the bass at an angle straddling the corner and you'll create a bass trap which will be incredibly loud / boomy. All speakers suffer from proximity effects when close to a wall so this will help.

I always found that I could hear myself better if I stood forward from the speaker (instead of standing right by it), as the note needs to throw forward a bit, considering that the length of a low E note is 837cm, so stand about a metre away (or whatever your lowest note is).

I also typically plug one ear pointing towards the drummer because one drummer I play with loves washy hihat, which quickly causes deafness and ear confusion (what note am I playing???)

[quote name='72deluxe' timestamp='1397206574' post='2421709']If you are shoved into a corner, you could put the bass at an angle straddling the corner and you'll create a bass trap which will be incredibly loud / boomy. All speakers suffer from proximity effects when close to a wall so this will help.

I always found that I could hear myself better if I stood forward from the speaker (instead of standing right by it), [/quote]

Yup, all true.

[quote name='72deluxe' timestamp='1397206574' post='2421709']as the note needs to throw forward a bit, considering that the length of a low E note is 837cm, so stand about a metre away (or whatever your lowest note is).[/quote]

And here, complete nonsense. What does the wavelength of a note have to do with any of this?

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1397148513' post='2421209']

The problem may be the guitarists, you only need to match the drummer who of course can't turn up. If you match the drums and can't hear then no-one can hear the drums either and you will sound poor whatever you do. Turn down the guitar amps and the band will sound like a band.

[/quote]

Excellent advice!