Why become a member? ×

Cab Cover Manufacturers

PauBass

Can someone please explain the point of these cab covers.

All the cabs I've owned including the lightweight ones and two that I built myself have been tough and hardwearing. Weekly rehearsing and gigging has meant that they have picked up the odd scuff and scrape, but they are built in much the same way as hard cases and several are literally flight cases with an open end where the speakers reside (behind tough grills).

Every time I see someone with a soft cover on their amp or speaker cabs it generally looks pretty tatty and the cab it is protecting is in no better state than any of mine.

If I was playing decent sized venues and had the assistance of at least one roadie, I'd invest in some proper flight cases for my cabs. But soft covers? I just don't get it.

You know when you're storing a cab somewhere it might get dust on it? Stops that.
You know when you're walking from the car to the gig in the rain and water might get on it? Stops that.
You know when you accidentally scuff the cab against a wall or something and it can damage the finish or tolex? Stops that.

That's why you use cab covers.

[quote name='lemmywinks' timestamp='1397125543' post='2420858']
You know when you're storing a cab somewhere it might get dust on it? Stops that.
You know when you're walking from the car to the gig in the rain and water might get on it? Stops that.
You know when you accidentally scuff the cab against a wall or something and it can damage the finish or tolex? Stops that.

[/quote]

Exactly!
This type of covers might not offer much protection against hard knocks or falls but they do a good job protecting the finish on your cab.
I've had cabs with and without covers, the ones with do not have a scratch on them, the ones with none, did get quite a few scratches and tears on the finish.

Plus if you've ever scuffed a cab with a tuff-cab finish against a painted wall and then spent the next 2 hours trying to remove the tiny but impressively visible specks from the textured finish you'll know how useful covers really are.

Also if you have a cat and a carpet covered cab then you absolutely[b] NEED[/b] a cover!

[quote name='lemmywinks' timestamp='1397125543' post='2420858']

[/quote]

I don't think any of my cabs stay in one place long enough to get any dust on them. They are in and out of venues and rehearsal rooms every week.

We always park the van as close to the load in door as possible. In all the years I've been gigging I can only think of a handful of times when rain has been a problem during load in and load out.

If I'd accidentally scuffed any of the cabs I've been using against a wall or something I'd be more worried about the wall than my cab.

My experience has been seeing lots of ratty-looking cab covers on equally ratty looking cabs.

Well then I guess you're gigging experience is pretty much totally different to most people's! I wouldn't want to put a bare cab in a van with everyone else's kit, nor would I want to carry it through rain, both of these things are a consideration for me on the gigs I do btw and I'm guessing most other people are in the same boat.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1397135105' post='2421013']
I think I just find the idea of wrapping an item that is extremely solidly built with a hard-wearing exterior in something so comparatively weak and flimsy somewhat bizarre...
[/quote]

Apparently many, many people have a different opinion and choose to have a cover on their cabs.
The covers on my previous cabs and amps, Aguilar and Bergantino, were of excellent quality, not weak at all, and did their job really well.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1397135105' post='2421013']
I think I just find the idea of wrapping an item that is extremely solidly built with a hard-wearing exterior in something so comparatively weak and flimsy somewhat bizarre...
[/quote]

Ok you're right then, in the bin they go.

My covers are looking good, so simple things like lifting out of the car boot helps silly little scuffs.
I think that since my cabs has always had covers on them, I should stand to get back pretty much what I paid for them as
they are in the same condition as when I got them.

Havings said that, I don't buy and sell easily, but I like to buy in mint/VGC and I want to sell in as close to that condition
and covers help me achieve that, IME.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1397124762' post='2420846']
Can someone please explain the point of these cab covers.

All the cabs I've owned including the lightweight ones and two that I built myself have been tough and hardwearing. Weekly rehearsing and gigging has meant that they have picked up the odd scuff and scrape, but they are built in much the same way as hard cases and several are literally flight cases with an open end where the speakers reside (behind tough grills).

Every time I see someone with a soft cover on their amp or speaker cabs it generally looks pretty tatty and the cab it is protecting is in no better state than any of mine.

If I was playing decent sized venues and had the assistance of at least one roadie, I'd invest in some proper flight cases for my cabs. But soft covers? I just don't get it.
[/quote]

It stops dust getting into the cab and hoovering the cover is easier than taking the grill off to clean it. My wife is allergic to dust too, so the easier it is to remove dust from, the better in my house!

My EBS Proline 4x10 tipped slightly in the van recently, it put a dent in the guitar amp flight case. My cab was fine, the only bits that get worn are the plastic corner pieces on the bottom, but EBS kindly sent replacements for a few pence and a cover wouldn't stop those getting worn anyway.

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1397154791' post='2421301']
What was the topic again?...........
[/quote]

:D

So far I have Hotcovers, Jenart and[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] Bacsew[/font][/color] they all look good and prices are reasonable.
Not sure there's any other cover manufacturers in the UK