Why become a member? ×

Valve Warmth

acidbass

Hi all,

Going to be using a solid state head (probably LM3) with my new Barefaced cabinet. However, I know for a fact I'll miss the valve warmth of my previous Ashdown head.

What's the best pedal out there at the moment to achieve this in my signal chain? I used to use a DHA VT1 with a valve inside and it was the business. What options are out there at the moment?

I like a lot of warmth and harmonic content, just verging on drive. I have no need for a heavy bass overdrive as it's not really my thing.

No pun intended but I am somewhat out of the loop with effects!

Cheers!

Danny

Edited by acidbass

As said, DHA pedals are great. Or as also said, Tech21 VT DI. I use one of these into my Markbass CMD121 (which is an LM2 in a combo) and it`s amazing. Does make me sound like I`m playing into an Ampeg though, so for a more neutral tone maybe DHA would be better, but if an SVT-type sound is needed, VT pedal.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1397383509' post='2423334']
Replace the valve in the VT1 with a 12AU7 and it's more of a valve pre than an overdrive as you've got a whole lot less drive on tap...
[/quote]

I have the VT Mk3 and actually struggle to get any overdrive out of it. I put a Sovtek AX7 in but that didn't do any better. Only way I can get any drive from it is by diming the I/pad knob.

All of that is irrelevant to you though acidbass as it will still do the job that you want :-)

Edited by Jonesy64

Yes Danny lad!
in currently gassing for the darkglass stuff and the vintage microtubes stuff sounds great for tubey goodness. I had the Dave Hall and VT pedals but found them too subtle for my tastes. But hey, what do i know, some people swear by the VT bass.
Btw, well done(i suppose) on winning the league today, Chelsea ain't catching up now
Mick