Why become a member? ×

To fretless or not to fretless, that is the question!

Damonjames

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1397826769' post='2427731']
I've bought some nylons but I haven't made my mind up to change as I like the bright sounds with the nickels it came with a few weeks back. I do love an upright sound though.
[/quote]

I know what you mean. I used the D'Addario Chrome Flats before going to the Nylons. The longer I play Nylons, the more I like them. I even like them on a Rickenbacker 4003. With Nylons, a power thump sounds very bassi.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/XMk9wvQ.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='bh2' timestamp='1397287686' post='2422453']

Yes... We're warming up for The Egg at a party next w/e... should be a blast!
[/quote]
Small world, their bass player Fish was in my band before me, (Funkbomb) he still deps for me when I can't make a gig. Really Nice guy.

Although my current fretless is surplus to requirements, I have no regrets at all from trying it out. There are plenty of decent inexpensive fretless basses on the market, including Squier Jazz and Precision models, and usually loads of used examples to choose from here on BC. Personally I wouldn't go straight for a new one, as you stand to lose quite a bit if you don't get on with it.

If you are already a Stingray player, then get it and keep it - even if you only ever noodle with it at home it will pay you back in spades.
If you are not already a Stingray player then it might be a good idea to follow advice already offered in this thread and get something cheaper as a tryout. There is a problem with the tryout strategy, though - if you don't get on with it then it might not be so easy to tell whether the fretlessness is the problem or whether you simply don't get on with that kind of bass. For that reason it would be good to choose something that you are already familiar with, e.g. if you are au fait with Jazz basses then get a cheapie fretless jazz.

But whatever you decide to do with your money, you should definitely give fretless a go, for all the reasons stated above.

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1398086089' post='2430237']
If you are already a Stingray player, then get it and keep it - even if you only ever noodle with it at home it will pay you back in spades.
If you are not already a Stingray player then it might be a good idea to follow advice already offered in this thread and get something cheaper as a tryout. There is a problem with the tryout strategy, though - if you don't get on with it then it might not be so easy to tell whether the fretlessness is the problem or whether you simply don't get on with that kind of bass. For that reason it would be good to choose something that you are already familiar with, e.g. if you are au fait with Jazz basses then get a cheapie fretless jazz.

But whatever you decide to do with your money, you should definitely give fretless a go, for all the reasons stated above.
[/quote]

This is the reason I am considering the ray. I have three basses at the moment and would actually prefer to streamline things. I have a US SUB 5 which is rapidly becoming my favourite bass, but my passive fenders suit the majority of what I do in my band. Ideally I would change my
Mike dirt p/j for a fender jazz with a p neck pickup, that way I keep the sound but get the feel of the jazz that I prefer. Alas I can't get rid of it regardless of how hard I try!

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1398287250' post='2432614']
If I can throw a question in here please.

If going for fretless, is it better to go 5 string?
I ask because I'm much more at home on a 4 but 4 strings seem hard to find. Is there a reason for this?
[/quote]
If you play 4 fretted then go same make and model 4 fretless and your muscle memory is in the right place on the fingerboard.

I'm surprised anyway that you say fretless 4 strings are hard to find. At GAK for example almost all the fretlesses are 4 string.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1398333682' post='2432939']
If you play 4 fretted then go same make and model 4 fretless and your muscle memory is in the right place on the fingerboard.

I'm surprised anyway that you say fretless 4 strings are hard to find. At GAK for example almost all the fretlesses are 4 string.
[/quote]
Good point about the strings.
Unfortunately I'm a bit fussy. I want an unlined fb and passive elects. Also I'm looking for a something a bit different to that which Gak seem to carry in stock.

Thanks all the same.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1398377522' post='2433607']
Good point about the strings.
Unfortunately I'm a bit fussy. I want an unlined fb and passive elects. Also I'm looking for a something a bit different to that which Gak seem to carry in stock.

Thanks all the same.
[/quote]
Yes, I wasn't suggesting you go to GAK. It was merely one example of 4-strings being much more common than any other number of strings - in any case.

Edited by EssentialTension

Having been politely asked by "last year's" band to play fretted (is it my intonation?, I asked, no, it's just the accuracy came the reply from the guitard!!!) I was reluctant to inflict "this year's" band with my fretless curse, but tonight in rehearsals I did, and what a liberating experience. I have finally come home.