Why become a member? ×

To fretless or not to fretless, that is the question!

Damonjames

Hey guys, while in my local shop I have fallen for another temptress...

All the hype about pino playing with NIN got me thinking about getting a fretless, and as fate being as cruel as she is, has placed a fretless stingray 5 in my local. Now I don't sway easy in shops, most of the stuff I can take or leave, but this had me showing the physical symptoms of full blown GAS like never before.

So before I put this beauty on finance, I thought I'd ask, how much use do you get out of your fretless? I know I will use it at home for some stuff, and possible one or two songs in my current band, but is it really worth having one? Or should I let her slip away?

Any advice would be great!

I've been thinking about the same thing a lot recently. I used to use my Ibanez fretless 4 fairly regularly, but I've only really being playing my fivers recently so I was wondering about getting a fretless 5, and how much to spend versus how much I'll use it.

Depends entirely on the music you play. When I joined a previous band I could hear a need for fretless on a couple of songs so I went out and bought a cheap one to give it a go. With the space of a couple of months I went from playing it on one song to using it for the majority of our set. As a result I now own some very nice and expensive fretless basses. However since then, in my current band there is no place for a fretless bass so they haven't been touched apart from some home playing.

As BRX and ET say, how much live use it will get depends on the musical situation and the bands you play in. I play fretted in a party/function band but exclusively fretless in two other jazzier bands. Having said that there's nothing wrong with using it for only a couple of songs or just playing it for pleasure. Fretless opens up a whole new dimension of sound and expressiveness, Who knows, it may take you in a whole new musical direction. If it takes hold you won't look back and you'll wonder why you didn't do it before!

I would say that I am a predominantly fretted player. I do occasionally played fretless when I feel it's required, just on a couple of songs in the current set.

That's just to suit my current project though, who knows what I'll be doing in the future.... I think it's good to have fretless as another trick to bring to the party as a bass player.

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1397159389' post='2421373']
Hey guys, while in my local shop I have fallen for another temptress...

All the hype about pino playing with NIN got me thinking about getting a fretless, and as fate being as cruel as she is, has placed a fretless stingray 5 in my local. Now I don't sway easy in shops, most of the stuff I can take or leave, but this had me showing the physical symptoms of full blown GAS like never before.

So before I put this beauty on finance, I thought I'd ask, how much use do you get out of your fretless? I know I will use it at home for some stuff, and possible one or two songs in my current band, but is it really worth having one? Or should I let her slip away?

Any advice would be great!
[/quote]
Okay then, here is some wisdom.....

Don't buy it (if you are taking finance you CANT afford it)...it is a passing fad.....you have enough basses already...focus on your playing instead and become a better player...it's all any non bass player will care about anyway.

You're welcome.

Edited by White Cloud

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1397200854' post='2421650']
As Steve Bailey said, you don't have to wobble and slide on EVERY note!....
[/quote]
Correct, in fact you don't have to wobble and slide on any notes until you can commonly hit the intonation or at least be very close. Then put the occasional wobble or slide in place.

Get a fretless, it's a no brainer (IMO of course). I play my fretted and fretless Ibbys about the same at home and about 70/30 live. If I had to jump one way or the other and only have just one I'd go with the fretless because, as has been said above, you can play a fretless very 'straight' but you can't slip 'n slide on a fretted.

Definitely go for it IF you think the sound will fit with what you are doing. I have a fretless as I bought one purely as it would fit with one of the tracks we wrote. I now use it for about 1/3 of our stuff.....because it fits those particular tracks (the more chilled out and Jazzier tracks we do) rather than my fender.

Enjoy!

Q. to bh2 - what is the name of your outfit? I like the sound of what you do.

Our band is called smells like Seattle, we do a grunge tribute, and I know some of the tracks would sound pretty nice on fretless, like black by pearl jam and interstate love song by stone temple pilots.
We are also talking about putting an "unplugged" version of our set together for more chilled out clubs etc as some of the most iconic mtv unplugged records were by those artists. I figure a fretless would fit the acoustic side also really well.

[quote name='Chris Sharman' timestamp='1397223573' post='2421968']
Q. to bh2 - what is the name of your outfit? I like the sound of what you do.
[/quote]

Yes... We're warming up for The Egg at a party next w/e... should be a blast!

I started on a cheap bb400 fl lined fretless then got an unlined fretless ray. Used that exclusively for about 2 years. Felt like I had speed bumps on the neck when I went back to a fretted! I enjoyed it and felt it made me a better player. Back on a fretted now but really enjoyed my fretless flirtation. Try it you might like it but id start with a cheaper SH bass first

Never had a need or a desire for a fretless until a recent change in musical direction ( stopped being in a covers band and met a singer/guitarist wanting to do some original acoustic style songs ) prompted me to have a re think and just bought a cheap Cort four string fretless and I am loving it totally.

Thought it would be a nightmare to play but it's so smooth and easy to play and I can see me using this a lot.

Get a fretless, and string it with Nylons. The sounds are great. It has a nice flat string sound, and depending on the settings, and the fretless, you can get a smooth upright sound.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/uJH9AWM.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by gsgbass