Why become a member? ×

Best noob bass for funk/Motown

TimJ

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1397246470' post='2422287']
It doesn't, if it did everyone would play a Jazz and the Precision would be redundant.
[/quote]

I think anyone would be pushed to tell the difference.

It's not the only important difference between the basses.

Going to your other post, Beedster, absolutely GROOVE it all depends on this regardless of bass used.

Edited by 4 Strings

This looks like another good option for a cheap Motown bass. Really nice sunburst finish on this.

[url="http://www.basscentre.com/bass-collection-detroit-bass/BC-DETROIT-LTD-SF.html"]http://www.basscentr...OIT-LTD-SF.html[/url]

Edited by dannybuoy

Get a PJ bass, put rounds on it, and use some foam under the strings near the bridge for the older stuff.

Not 100% authentic but some of the Motown tone can be down to the way it was recorded and played, not just the instrument.

Get the playing right and most basses will fit right in.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1397246470' post='2422287']

It doesn't, if it did everyone would play a Jazz and the Precision would be redundant.
[/quote]
Yep, can be made to sound similar possibly, but no more

Put some foam under the strings and you'll be close

Bob Babbitt played a 62 precision with flats as far as I know , but I think he did change them from time to time unlike Jamerson

Edited by Geek99

You don't need to spend £4-500 for a great-sounding bass for funk, especially if you buy second-hand. As pointed out above, the amp will make as much of difference to the sound as the type of bass (P, J or MM).

I would recommend a simple Jazz bass to start. I like the Warwick combo practice amps too.