Why become a member? ×

Abominable Electronics Hail Satan Muff

Wooks79

As I have just received my COG Effects custom Grand Tarkin, but not yet had chance to try it out, I had better sing the praises of my other go to muff pedal before I have to start comparing and choosing!

For the last month or so I have been using an Abominable Electronics Hail Satan Muff, and I can't sing it's praises highly enough!!

As the builder has recently given up his day job to focus on his pedal business, I just wanted to mention it on here, as I think Abominable Electronics are going to be one to watch, and as with all new businesses, I'm sure would appreciate me spreading the word! I've not been inclined to write a review of sorts before, mainly just read them on here :)

So the pedal -

It sounds huge and blows every muff I have used on bass previously out of the water!

I originally heard about it on a Facebook group, and was drawn to it purely on its looks, and for the price, thought I would give it a go. I was lucky enough for it to get through customs unnoticed, so all in cost me about £75 delivered at the time.

Every pedal is hand made and screen printed by Patrick, who is as far as I know the sole person behind Abominable Electronics. I have #13 of this pedal, and have an early version of the art before it had a minor change.

Here it is next to my Verellen Big Spider -

Patrick also offers the same pedal in a "Hail Yeti" version, for those people who don't like any mention of Satan, which surprisingly seems to be quite a few, Americans at least...

Patrick himself is a bass player, so the pedal is pretty much made with the sound of a bass through it as a big consideration.

Patrick was, and is, a total pleasure to deal with, and I have since stayed in touch with him and plan to order more pedals from him.

The official site states -

"The Abominable "Hail Satan" muff is a big muff clone built to the specs of the infamous "Creamy Dreamer" modded pedals that some had thought were used on Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream because of the similar tones but with our own twist.

In addition to the normal Volume, Tone, and Sustain controls, we've added an additional control for the Mids. This allows you to add a much fuller sound to the tone of the pedal.

Also, we've added a second footswitch that when engaged will switch from the stock 1n914 diodes to a louder and crunchier sounding 3mm Red LED diodes in the distortion clipping. Not only does this put the effect into full on "hail satan mode" audibly, but the eyes of the goat head will also light up red with the actual LEDs that are in the circuit. As the intensity of your playing increases the eyes will light up to match.

The pedal is built using mostly carbon resistors and ceramic capacitors to give it as raw of a feeling as possible. The effect is true bypass and hand wired for a superb sound.

The enclosure itself is painted and hand-destroyed / relic'd before it has a 3-color screen printed graphic and a thin clear coat applied on top. Each pedal looks slightly different than the next due to this completely hands on process making each one it's own work of art. Please don't expect the final product to be immaculately painted / finished; we take pride in destroying the enclosures to give them their own special look."

So except for the fact I've never made a video or pedal demo before, there's not much more I can say, but it is genuinely a top class muff for bass. If I was to change anything, for me personally, I would add a clean blend in there to make it more versatile.

Go have a look at this and other pedals at the site -
www.abominableelectronics.com

Cheers!

Edited by Wooks79

• 6 months later...

As everyone knows I am pretty vocal in my love for this pedal, as can be seen here -
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/246447-i-got-interviewed-by-gak-about-my-gear

Well, as I had two of these pedals now, and had always (as can be read above) wanted a clean blend on this, I decided to flog one of my them to upgrade to the Hail Satan Deluxe that they have been building for a little while now... It hasn't gone far, as my guitarist wanted it since he tried it out ages ago

It has a few extras - the all important clean blend, a buffer switch for clean signal boost, a switch to toggle between Green Russian or Creamy Dreamer types, a highs knob and top mounted input and outputs.

Really looking forward to getting hold of this, has anyone else got one or tried one yet?

Build in progress shot -

• 1 month later...

A quick heads up - Abominable Electronics are having a Black Friday sale -

www.abominableelectronics.com

I absolutely love their pedals obviously, I swear by the Hail Satan Muff! If you were ever considering one you won't get a better deal than this on them I don't reckon!