Why become a member? ×

Flats on a Fender Am St P Bass

lancer

Hi Guys,
I just need a bit of advice!
I have just bought a new p bass and would like to string it with GHS precision flats 45-105.
Will the the neck be OK?
It's just that I put the same strings on a MIM P and it maxed the truss rod out.
I could not get a low action
Thanks 😊

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting how the tension in strings can vary so much. Used to have a MIM Roadworn Jazz and tried it with Rotosound '77 Flats, but they felt like they were going to rip the neck off when they were tuned up to pitch.
Now my '77 P-Bass has Thomastik Infeld flats and they are just perfect (I know it's all subjective). If you can get a hold of TI flats, I cannot recommend them highly enough. Mine have been on for over a year, rehearsed & gigged regularly and still sound awesome...I reckon I've got a couple more years left in them which, in my mind, justifies the slightly pricey purchase price.

[quote name='Edenburgh' timestamp='1398633832' post='2436112']
Interesting how the tension in strings can vary so much. Used to have a MIM Roadworn Jazz and tried it with Rotosound '77 Flats, but they felt like they were going to rip the neck off when they were tuned up to pitch.
Now my '77 P-Bass has Thomastik Infeld flats and they are just perfect (I know it's all subjective). If you can get a hold of TI flats, I cannot recommend them highly enough. Mine have been on for over a year, rehearsed & gigged regularly and still sound awesome...I reckon I've got a couple more years left in them which, in my mind, justifies the slightly pricey purchase price.
[/quote]

+1, the TI's are lovely and flexible.

I have EB Group IIIs on my MIA P Bass and EBMM Ray....both feel lovely! Very smooth, little bit higher tension than TI's, but not difficult to play.