Why become a member? ×

Using GK MB Fusion as a DI Box?

12AX7

Hello Basschat people!

I've perhaps read hundreds of stories about people getting into fights with sound engineers about not getting their cabs mic'd or sometimes even being forced to bypass their entire signal chain because the guy prefers a clean bass tone. So far I've gotten away with murder myself but to make things easier for everyone, I want to optimize my DI signal so no matter where I go, I am happy to give them that one DI slot and I know it's gonna be MY sound. So much for the story. Now, I happen to like some grit, with a lot of clean tone blended in, but she sounds dark and scratchy, plus the preamp tubes are SO very close to breaking up as well, I just really dig that sound. When the grit is off I sometimes use an octave pedal but that wont be an issue here.

The signal chain is:
Bass -> EBS MultiComp -> EBS FuzzMo -> EBS Octabass -> GK MB Fusion -> DI and/or Cab

So, I've learned about a thing called 5K roll-off, which means everything above 5K will be taken out of the signal, to reduce that shaken bees hive kind of sound over the DI. Now, here's the question(s):

The treble control on the MB Fusion is at 7kHz, do you think it's got the right q to effectively work as that kind of roll-off? Do I need to pull the treble ALL the way down or does halfway do it? I'm not that slap kind of dude so lows, low and high mids are more my thing anyway but I do not happen to have a PA system at home to test it. Maybe one of you guys does know this gear and can enlighten me about it. Maybe it's just an incredible quest, too but I would at least like to try.

It would be great to get this working at it is a super light weight setup and the stage and FOH sound would be the same.

Happy Friday! :-)

Edited by 12AX7

I have no idea what you're talking about with the 5k roll-off, BUT, the MB Fusion has a DI out on the back with a pre/post EQ switch so you can give the sound man a DI from the amp that is the same signal as is going to the cab if you wish by setting it to post EQ. Then say "dunno mate, that's the only DI port on the back" :)