Why become a member? ×

Fender Bassman TV 15 - 350w Valve Combo

Pow_22

[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Anyone got one of these all-valve combos? Joined a new band that is playing much smaller places and so im considering selling the SVT rig for something more modest. Only stipulation that it has to be all valve – no emulators/pedals or any of that stuff, proper all-valve.[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]My current valve combo is a WEM that dispite having a marvellous tone just doesn’t quite have the balls against 2 x Marshal 80w valvestates and a reasonably loud drummer. I think I could realistically get around £900 for the SVT rig and ive seen some second hand TV 15’s around £500.[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Im playing indie/mellow rock with a flats loaded P bass, flats loaded telebass and depending on how mch I have left over from the downgrade a Gibson midtown.[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Anyone have any experience of them? What valves do they take? Clean headroom?[/color][/size][/font]

Try one and you might find you don't need all valve after all, just a valve preamp? There's plenty of fat tubey sounding hybrids out there, such as the Orange Terror Bass and these Fender TV combos. The Aguilar TH500 and TC Electronic RH450 are all solid state, but still have a lot of tube flavour.

If you want an all tube head that's lighter and lower powered than an SVT, I'd look at the Ashdown CTM100. They make fliptop style combos as well, but they are not cheap!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1397417635' post='2423750']
What's wrong with the handle?
[/quote]

For the 1x10 or 1x12 the handle is not much of a problem but when transporting the 2x10 or the 1x15 i find it the top handle is a problem for me. I would prefer having the handle on both side of the cab .......

• 4 weeks later...

I'm the proud owner of a TV15 and a fine piece of kit it is too in all its tweedy goodness! I tend to play it with master volume full up then use the gain to regulate volume as I'm after clean and warm but reversing that will give you some nice growl from the valve preamp. Agree that side handles would be very practical but would affect aesthetics and this amp is big on looks as well as sound.

Here's Mr Ed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A93b2V7ymf8

I had one and loved it, but had to move it on before it gave me a hernia. They were originally supposed to have neodymium speakers fitted to save weight but it didn't happen.

Edited by gjones

I heard one of these the other day, certainly not an unpleasant tone. If you are looking for the bassman tone why not buy a silverface bassman? It's full valve, only 50/100/135 watts, cheap and daisy chaining the two channels with an eq pedal makes both channels more useable. Matched with a good 1x15 it's enough volume for nearly all gigs