Why become a member? ×

**SOLD** 1972 Fender Jazz Bass. £1850
£2000

Chiliwailer

[b]Final price drop: £1850[/b]

[size=4]Up for grabs is my ever lovely 1972 Jazz Bass. It's only ever had studio use, including the owner before me who had it for a good number of years.[/size]

This bass has a great full, punchy and clean tone, as expected from a high quality ash bodied Jazz Bass. The neck is solid and perfectly comfortable. The bass weighs 10.78lbs, which is lighter than the typical 12-13lbs mid - late 70's ash bodied Jazzes but about 1lb heavier than your average alder bodied Jazz Bass. It's worth noting that ash bodied basses are typically slightly heavier than alder ones.

It's all original, including the finish, and has all original parts. Though I must mention that the bridge pickup has been rewound (very well so that the output is matched to the neck pickup).

This is one of the last early 70's 4 bolt necks, as Fender made the transition to 3 bolt around late 72 - early 73.

The neck pocket has a stamp which states 'natural', Fender generally saved these ash bodies for natural finishes. There is no neck date, though this is common on many 70's Fenders and 72 was the year when they changed their coding.

I'm only selling as tone wise I'm better suited to using my Custom Shop Jazz Bass,, so this one needs a new home. I'd love to keep it for the variation of tone it brings but I [s]have my eye on an[/s] just bought an expensive acoustic guitar.

The bass has no covers or original case.

LINK TO PICTURES [url="https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fwixeaor0xgd3dz/x3HnScGgbG"]https://www.dropbox....d3dz/x3HnScGgbG[/url]

[attachment=160018:P1060547.JPG]

[attachment=159943:P1060510.JPG]

Edited by Chiliwailer

Thanks for the trade offer PM's. Unfortunately all have been high end boutique style basses which I would have no use for, or would want to sell on.

Really, I'm after the cash but if you have a 'bass plus cash' deal you'd like to put forward then please feel free to give it a try, you never know I guess?

• 2 weeks later...

That's a cracker :gas:!! - lovely natural finish and bound fingerboard - don't see too many of those around these days :rolleyes:!!

I gigged a 'bound fingerboard' jobbie for 10 years and it was a dream to play - GLWTS B)!!

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1399053504' post='2440558']
Yet another killer bass from the Chiliwailer stable. How do you do it, man?!
[/quote]

Haha, cheers pal. :)

I guess you're appreciating one thing that I enjoy, and also one thing that I don't enjoy..... I enjoy buying non extortionately priced Fenders which are from the Golden Age, good examples that are pleasing to play, great quality and verging on iconic. The part I don't enjoy is hitting the reality that I just can't keep them all and need to move some on in order to appreciate others for a while.

I've got my keepers, which are listed in my signature, but from time to time I buy other ones to enjoy, admire and eventually decide on whether or not they have a permanent place in my 'pack'. Like many other guys here, I've found that just because a bass is great, it may not suit a players style enough to be a keeper.

The cool thing about these old Fenders is that if you're in the right position you can buy them, enjoy them, and sell them on easily without losing any money. Better than money sitting in the bank I say and a nice way to enjoy great instruments and bits of history.

[s][size=4]I've got my eye on some non bass gear at the moment [/size][/s][size=4][s]so this could be the last one for a while, but I'll never say never![/s] [/size]
[size=4][b]EDIT: [/b]I just bought a new acoustic so this really should be the last bass I sell for a while, buying basses for fun is now off limits :) [/size]

Edited by Chiliwailer

• 2 weeks later...