Why become a member? ×

Hi from Hamilton, ON - home of the "F" Bass!

eBassSix

Hi everyone,

I realize this is a UK website/forum and as such, I've seen only British members here so far. Hopefully I'll still be welcome as a Canadian... but if it helps, my parents emmigrated from the UK, so my background is British. My dad's from south Wales and my mum was from the south of England. All of our relatives are in the UK and I've visited many times and spent a lot of my summers there, while growing up... travelling all over England, south Wales and visiting Scotland as well.

So... I've been playing bass since my early 20s, after starting out on piano. I studied piano throughout my childhood and into my teen years, completing the grade ten Royal Conservatory course. However, classical was not really for me, and the piano wasn't really [i]my[/i] instrument, like the bass is. I'm a naturally rhythmic, funky person - if you know what I mean, and I'm sure you do. ;) My musical tastes are pretty varied, but mostly I listen to and play jazz, funk, r&b and reggae... and even some classical once in a while when I'm playing on my own at home, just for the fun of it! :D

While I have gigged steadily in the past and recorded in the studio, etc., I'm sad to say I haven't played much in years. Too many serious life events have gotten in the way and stressed me out - I've had a lot to deal with. I intend to pick it up very seriously again though, because I'm like a fish out of water, with my BASS! (Pun intended.)

Oh, I just spoke with George Furlanetto on the phone a couple of hours ago. There's a member on here who has one of his basses... [url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/410-geoffbassist/"]geoffbassist[/url]! If you see this, hi! :) George couldn't remember what the outcome was, when your bass had that unfortunate accident on the motorway. He says he thought you got a replacement neck, is that right?

So anyway, feel free to reply, say hi, connect, whatever... and are there any other Canadians on here?

P.S. I love your British [url="http://www.status-graphite.com/"]"Status"[/url] basses. Ahhh, one day...

Of course you're welcome, always good to have another female member on the forum, there's not nearly enough of them as they tend to get bored by the "middle aged bloke-iness" of it all after a while & move on. :)

What part of South Wales is your dad from?

There is a reasonably sized number of non UK members here on BC and a good number of Cannuks, all are welcome. So 'Hi' from Ez Towers (we're big fans of Canada here having holidayed in BC, Alberta and Quebec). Dive into the various forums and prepare yourself for the massive potential for Gear Aquisition Syndrome :D

[b]Rhysp: [/b]Bore da! Noticed you're a Taffy. Thanks for the welcome... and no worries, I never get bored by "middle aged bloke-iness". I enjoy people and wit/humour... and I see plenty of that here! Your avatar cracked me up the moment I saw it, since I've been in the UK enough to "get it". :D Is that actually a real sign? Don't tell me there's a place with that name?! My dad is from Aberaven, to answer your question. I see you're in Cardiff... I've been there, as we have family in that area. I have a few cousins living right in Cardiff and some more family not too far from there.

[b]ezbass: [/b]Hey, great username... starting with an "e" and having "bass" in it. My, what good taste you have! ;) And well, I hope I don't fit the term "Canuck", which always makes me think of the typical "hoser" type of Canadian... lumberjacket, toque, beer-swilling, hockey fan who's always hanging out in Tim Horton's and saying "eh?" at the end of every question. No... nothing like me at ALL. I don't hang out in Tim Horton's because, well, their coffee is pretty bad now, for some reason. It used to be really good... but not anymore. I can brew better right here at home, so I do. Thanks for the welcome... and glad you've enjoyed your visits here. I'm a little worried about getting GAS though... but I have "Gear Acquisition Syndrome" all the damn time anyway. There's a new internet acronymn suitable for any musicians' forum: "Oh no! I've got serious GAS!" :unsure: "EZ Towers", huh? Is that anything like "Fawlty Towers"? I've watched a lot of your comedies with my parents over the years... great stuff. This was by far my favourite episode: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfl6Lu3xQW0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfl6Lu3xQW0[/url]

[b]Allie:[/b] Hey! A UK member? Noooo WAY, on HERE?? I'm simply amazed. Haha, thanks... and enjoying this place [i]is[/i] the plan. ;)

[b]madshadows:[/b] Hi John, and thanks! :)

[b]BassTractor:[/b] Ummm, Bert? What exactly is "Canuck breath?" I wasn't aware that we Canadians have exceptional breath, compared to anyone else? No one I know does, anyway... but the standard of personal hygiene here that most people have tends to be pretty high. Thank god! Haha @ "the South Wales bit". Don't worry, my dad will [u]not[/u] be following me to this forum. You have enough Taffies here already (and he doesn't even have a computer, let alone use the internet). So... what part of NL are you in?

Sorry lass, I was under the misguided impression every Canadian knew the term.
An Ontarian friend of mine taught it to me, and he told me it's an ugly derogatory term for canucks, but not necessarily meant to harm: "Hey, kanuk breath! Great seeing you! Come sit with us!"

As to South Wales, there's many of that particular faith here on BC. That's one part of why I couldn't resist that bit (the other part being that I've been there for work a lot, and love it to bits).

As to my location, I'm not in NL. I'm in NO! :)
But to better answer the question: I'm Dutch but live in the extreme South of Norway.

Well not this one, Bert. Maybe I just don't have friends who are given to using ugly, derogatory terms... or haven't heard that one, because no one's ever said that to/about me, or about anyone else. in my presence? Don't know... but apparently, not everyone here uses it. ;) Either that, or I'm actually living under some kind of giant rock these days. Which is entirely possible! :P

Yes, I've been noticing Taffies located in the south of Wales on this site. My dad would feel right at home here... although when he was 10 years old, he moved with his family up to Rugby, Warwickshire and lived there until he married my mum and they decided to emmigrate to this country. I've visited Rugby several times to see our family there and loved it... some great people there. :)

Aha... so you're in Norway. I sit corrected! Beautiful place, from all of the photos I've seen.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1397339177' post='2423065']
Sorry lass, I was under the misguided impression every Canadian knew the term.
An Ontarian friend of mine taught it to me, and he told me it's an ugly derogatory term for canucks, but not necessarily meant to harm: "Hey, kanuk breath! Great seeing you! Come sit with us!"

As to South Wales, there's many of that particular faith here on BC. That's one part of why I couldn't resist that bit (the other part being that I've been there for work a lot, and love it to bits).

As to my location, I'm not in NL. I'm in NO! :)
But to better answer the question: I'm Dutch but live in the extreme South of Norway.
[/quote]
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Hi molan. Yes, I'll be down at the shop sometime soon-ish and I'll pass your message on. ;)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1397343754' post='2423111']
Say hi to Marcel Furlanetto from Barrie if you're in at F Bass any time - I've got a team in his football fantasy league :)

I may be bottom of it though :(
[/quote]
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

[quote name='eBassSix' timestamp='1397337627' post='2423047']
[b]Allie:[/b] Hey! A UK member? Noooo WAY, on HERE?? I'm simply amazed. Haha, thanks... and enjoying this place [i]is[/i] the plan. ;)
[/quote]

Well the sarcasm didn't really work I guess - but maybe you make up for that with your pretty looks and the ability to handle 6 strings at a time. :P

The welcome is genuine at least (he he) :lol:

Al

[quote name='eBassSix' timestamp='1397337627' post='2423047']
[b]Rhysp: [/b]Bore da! Noticed you're a Taffy. Thanks for the welcome... and no worries, I never get bored by "middle aged bloke-iness". I enjoy people and wit/humour... and I see plenty of that here! Your avatar cracked me up the moment I saw it, since I've been in the UK enough to "get it". :D Is that actually a real sign? Don't tell me there's a place with that name?![/quote]

Believe it or not "Bell End" is a village in Worcester! :D