Why become a member? ×

Left-Friendly Companies

mcarp555

We're all familiar with those guitar/bass manufacturers that produce few or zero LH models. What about companies that go the other way, and make [u][b]all[/b][/u] their available models left-handed (at no extra charge)? Give them a shout out here so we can support the people who support us.

I'll start the ball rolling by mentioning [url="http://www.gaskellguitars.com"]Gaskell Guitars[/url] in Australia. As far as I know, they are the only company that makes left-handed guitars and basses exclusively - [u][i]no[/i][/u] right-handed instruments! You can read my review of their Thunderbass (in the left-hand review section, natch). The owner, Kevin Gaskell, is a dedicated supporter of the left-hand cause, and I'd urge everyone to consider them. Kev's not paying me to mention him, but anyone that makes only LH instruments deserves at least a look from every left-hand player on the planet.

Please don't take this the wrong way but I'm not sure how useful this would be?

I don't think there are that many companies that produce LH versions of their entire range. Case in point, I've just purchased a LH Spector LX Euro, the US based workshop don't produce any LH models but the European and Korean Co's do. A simple black and white approach to listing isn't really going to help.

Can I suggest we instead, simply list as many LH models available in the marketplace at present and try and keep it as up-to-date as possible. Maybe categorise the listing into say, Jazz & P clones, boutique, modern, acoustic, etc. Then, if anyone here asks what's available for LH players looking for X, Y and Z, we can point them to the page?

Just a thought...

Well, I wondered myself if I should have said "all models" or "most models". Using "some models" isn't much help at all, since even the overtly un-left-friendly companies can knock out one or two cheapo models in LH versions.

In a perfect world, a list wouldn't be needed at all, but I'll settle for companies that at least try to make as many LH models as possible. The goal is, like you suggested, a way for someone who wants something other than the usual black & rosewood Jazz.

The most lefty friendly companies to my knowledge are -

Spector - Most Euros and some USA
Warwick - Complete range of German, almost all China and Korea built
Sandberg - I think everything is available lefty
Mayones - Upcharge but the whole range
Musicman - Almost everything
Rickenbacker - Most models
Clover - Everything
MTD - Almost everything
Roscoe - I think everything
Gibson - Full 2014 lineup is available lefty in all colours
Lakland - Almost full range
Eastwood - I believe full range
Schecter - Range changes faster than the weather but most stuff is available lefty
Fender Japan - I think every model except the Mustang Bass

Then if you go into UK based Luthiers then almost anyone, but from companies whose work I have seen -

Feline (as Southpaw)
Shuker
ACG

Of course then you can go into the real high end coffee table market with -

Ritter - Everything and anything is available lefty
Nordy - Everything
Alembic - 10% upcharge I think
Trussart - Everything

My understanding is that Ric is actually pretty poor at making most of their models LH. And as for Gibson, the 'entire' 2014 range has failed to materialize. Their own customer service reps have no idea what's in the works.

And I can't take the idea of 'upcharging' as a 'friendly' idea.

As someone that has worked in industry for many years an upcharge is about as friendly as it gets, they do need to switch the jigs to make them which takes time away from far easier to sell right handed instruments being made, there is also an amount that needs to be added simply for the length of time said instrument is likely to sit in a warehouse opposed to a righty when it comes to bulk manufacturers. I am a lefty but having worked for guitar companies for yonks I completely 'get it' when it comes to left handers not being made, when you check stock reports and sales numbers the money just isn't there for most companies to bother, sad for us as players sure but this is a business with firms who need to make money.

The Gibbo stuff is coming, I think they just spoke before they could actually show anything.

Edited by throwoff

Totally agree with both these last posts. Unfortunately it's a fact of life.
My personal preference for "lefty-friendly without being custom-built" is for Warwick. Most models are easy to obtain in LH, and with no surcharge.
I love the Warwick sound, and the look of most of their basses. At first I wasn't too keen on the shape of their headstocks but I've grown to like it. I've only been able to afford models from the low-cost line so far, but I haven't been disappointed.

[quote name='Mark Dyer' timestamp='1397514426' post='2424795']
May as well take Spector off that list, the 2014 Euro price no longer has LH models apparently.
[/quote]

Nope. And I don't think they've ever made a lefty US instrument, only Asian and Czech models.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Been looking into acquiring some new basses recently, a short-scale and a micro bass. Regards the short-scale, Scott Whitley offers a lefty option for a small charge and Gold tone offer several microbass models in lefty at no extra charge so quite pleased should I choose to commit.