Why become a member? ×

Feedback

kedo

I have been suffering with feedback on my DB. It tends to occur on the G string about Bb when the note 'swells'. It is impossible to set the volume to a good level for a big gig. Careful placement of my Markbass P121 combo and 1x12 New York extension speaker (away from a wall and definitely not in a corner) can help, as can the proximity of bass to amp, but there is nothing I can set on the amp EQ which completely eliminates this nuisance. The Bb also 'swells' when I play it on the D string. This is not a problem when I play the bass acoustically, but my Stentor Elysia is a fairly quiet instrument.

Previous Basschat postings on this subject have resulted in an overwhelming recommendation that a 'Fishman Platinum Pro' bass preamp is the answer. Has anyone got any further advice.

I have a SH950 Shadow pickup (the double one) and don't use a preamp at present.

It sounds like there is a particular frequency of EQ that resonates with the Bb, if that makes sense. It's probably a frequency your amp doesn't have. The Fishman gives the chance to dial out some of that resonant frequency. Other multi-band EQ pedals can do the same. It's really a matter of finding the offending frequency and dealing with it.

If it's a particular resonance from the bass, you might be able to control it by dampening the afterlengths and tailpiece. For a while I played with a very loud band and I would dampen the afterlengths with a piece of plastic tube woven between the strings. What made the biggest difference was stuffing a rolled up scarf between the tailpiece and top, which some people use a foam sponge for. It would be worth trying these things before springing for more bits of gear!