Why become a member? ×

NBD - Pink Precision.

M@23

So, today I picked up a new to me Precision bass. Built in 1996, I think, it's a 50th anniversary Japanese P bass in Sell Pink. It's been set up with a new set of Fender Flats. Weighs in at 8lbs 6, so nice and light! Will give it a full workout tonight. Really pleased so far though. It could do with new vol/tone knobs and maybe a new pickguard. There are a couple of minor bumps, but overall it's in great condition.

Anybody have one, or know much about them?

I had the same model in white/red tort/rosewood. Same sticker, roughly same year, MIJ P Bass 62 Reissue, but the standard MIJ model, not with the USA pup.

It was a fine, lightweight and solid bass. I used it i punk and hardcore bands for years and it still looked pretty mint at the end. I then sold it rather stupidly. It was a great bass!

I think in the 90s, when these were new, they were £420-460 for the model I had.

Gorgeous! :gas:

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1397413698' post='2423714']
New knobs and pickguard and it'll be set.
[/quote]

Yeah, swap the white for a tort PG for more 60's vibe, and for historical correctness' sake I'd install Kluson reverse tuners. And chrome covers, of course.
What's wrong with the knobs?

[quote name='Tweedledum' timestamp='1397466521' post='2424059']
Gorgeous! :gas:

Yeah, swap the white for a tort PG for more 60's vibe, and for historical correctness' sake I'd install Kluson reverse tuners. And chrome covers, of course.
What's wrong with the knobs?
[/quote]

Good shout. I did wonder whether to go tort! Will try find the details of the chap on here that makes them. The knobs don't match, which annoys me! One has been replaced at some point. I'm shopping for chrome covers as we speak as well :-)

[quote name='mikeswals' timestamp='1397623134' post='2425707']
With the rosewood board I'd go with a tort guard as a better contrast, just like that Jazz above :gas:.
If it was a maple board then the white would look best.
[/quote]

Yeah I agree. Just got to get the white one off to the Bass Doc to be used as a template now!

Today I ordered: 2 CTS 250k pots, a Switchcraft jack, a set of Fender P/Tele knobs and a Fender Vintage P Pickup. All that's left to do is post Howard my pickguard tomorrow morning, then sit back and wait for all that lot to arrive! Woohoo.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this up to show the (nearly) finished article. I've not added the pickup cover yet or got round to ordering new tuning pegs...
But here it is, a Fender Vintage Pickup, Switchcraft jack, CTS pots, bridge cover and a Bass Doc pickguard later.

I must publicly thank the Bass Doc for his efforts here, this was the cheaper option tort guard and is easily as nice as that on my US Std. Precision, at a very, very good price with a super quick turn around! :D

[attachment=162016:pinky1.jpg]
[attachment=162017:pinky2.jpg]
[attachment=162018:pinky3.jpg]