Why become a member? ×

Bobbins for pickups

Woodinblack

I am thinking of building a bass at some point (like a proper course), but if I am going to do the hard work of building one it seems a bit of a waste to put a generic pickup on it (and as it is going to be a fan fret, almost certainly difficult to get the right pickup), so I thought I would wind one, and get some practice earlier.

I have wanted to do one for a while where each pole is individual wound (but in pairs like a humbucker) sort of wal like AIUI, with the output mixed and balanced and joined after the preamp.

So most of that seems easy enough, and getting the parts seems easy enough, but was wondering if there are places that do bobbins for pickup winding already?
I have had a look, but nothing immediately popped out

Depending on your the style of pickup you're building, it's not too hard to make Fender style flatwork out of vulcanised fibreboard or Tufnol type material, where the poles are a press fit into the top and bottom pieces and the coil is wound straight on to the poles (with a layer of paper tape in between). Of course, if you want any sort of adjustable pole arrangement, that won't work and you'd need a proper bobbin.

Edited by Beer of the Bass