Why become a member? ×

Rack eq died looking for advice

0175westwood29

my behringer 2 channel eq died on friday night, i used it for a bit of tone shaping to help the orange a bit, but mainly to roll of the superlows to help clean things up and stop the speaker working to hard etc. basically the last four lights of the eq light up allthe buttons etc work and appear to work but there sliders as i said appear to have died all bar the last 4, if i turn it of and on they come back but switch of after a few minutes of playing and sound goes away.

its a behringer fbq 1502 unit, got it secondhand on ebay, worth getting it looked at to be repaired? or just go grab a new eq?

andy

Try real electronics in Sheffield, they fix stuff down to component level (a lot cheaper) and will give you a quote before doing the work. I got my amp back from them with in a week cause I was gigging like crazy. Helpful level expert.

Personally, I would buy one of the ampeg preamps (probably the pro with the sliders) and use that into the effects return on the orange.

That way it: bypasses the orange's coloured and (IMO) horribly preamp stage, still gives you lots of preamp tube gain stages for tasty harmonics, graphic EQ to take if the deep lows, a better quality DI, still gives you the monstrous 500w power at whichever ohmage you wish.

When I was using my OTB I started going straight into the effects return to get a flatter output, you may also find that you won't need to EQ the lows off when doing that either.

Edited by Prime_BASS

It would most probably be cheaper to replace the EQ unit with a better quality one (depending on how much the EQ unit costs, of course).
Preamp idea sounds like a good call, but if you like the sound you have/had, then it's not gonna be the same. It would give you a wider range of tones, but how often are you gonna change the amp settings at a gig?

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1397462960' post='2424016']
It would most probably be cheaper to replace the EQ unit with a better quality one (depending on how much the EQ unit costs, of course).
Preamp idea sounds like a good call, but if you like the sound you have/had, then it's not gonna be the same. It would give you a wider range of tones, but how often are you gonna change the amp settings at a gig?
[/quote]

yeh i like the sound of the orange pre, the eq is only there to help out with bumping the low mids up a bit and cutting of the lows that with distortion and fuzz for me anyway seem to get very subby and can really wash alot of the sound of the drums.

will try it at the next practice and see who knows but ill probs start looking for something on the evil bay, anyone who any rack eq brands that arent crazy money

andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1397391205' post='2423408']
its a behringer fbq 1502 unit, got it secondhand on ebay, worth getting it looked at to be repaired? or just go grab a new eq?
[/quote]

They're only £70 new so this has the potential to cost you more to get repaired than you actually paid for it in the first place.

Personally, I'd draw a line under it and move on. :)

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-GQ1031-Graphic-Equaliser-/261448253187?pt=UK_MusicalInstruments_Other_Pro_Audio_Equipment&hash=item3cdf87bf03#ht_158wt_1152"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-GQ1031-Graphic-Equaliser-/261448253187?pt=UK_MusicalInstruments_Other_Pro_Audio_Equipment&hash=item3cdf87bf03#ht_158wt_1152[/url]

Not mine, I hasten to add :D just flagging it up as a potential bargain.

• 2 weeks later...