Why become a member? ×

NS fretted eub in the UK?

Owen

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Owen, I've spoken to the bass centre this week about trying the NS fretted - they do have a small room where you can try stock by appointment but they don't have stock of the fretted NS - worse still, they say that they don't tend to bring them in as there's very little demand (except you and me apparently). they're expecting i a few weeks and are going to give me a call when it comes in if that helps at all (not much, I know)

I've been to Bass centre recently. Although predominantly Mail Order, Barry was more than willing to let me try some stock out and even gave me a set of Detroit Flats. Great guy and a bit of an institution on the music retail scene

I'd suggest calling him and if you decide to visit, drop me a PM as I live about 10 minutes away. I'll put the kettle on :)

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

I spoke to Barry last week and he said that the next shipment was due in but he was not expecting a fretted doobrie in on it. We both agreed that it is a pretty niche market! He did say that if one appeared then he would call me in. The reality is that I want to try one and if it works for me I want to commission a full sized 6 string one with a bottom F# so I cannot even pretend that I would be buying one :(

They certainly exist so I presume that it is do-able, however what I really want is a 41" long scale length to get some rumbly LF going on with nickel roundwounds and my hands in a DB position, so the arco bit is not an issue for me.

Of course this is all a pipe dream at the moment :)

There is an early music shop near where I work and in there they have Baroque instruments that are fretless but have gut tied around the finger boards to create frets. Maybe you could find a way to do this on a modern instrument.

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1398694270' post='2436624']
There is an early music shop near where I work and in there they have Baroque instruments that are fretless but have gut tied around the finger boards to create frets. Maybe you could find a way to do this on a modern instrument.[/quote]

Just like the Indian sitar. Isn't it more easy just to play fretless, though..? Genuine question; not trying to be flippant here.

I have thought about the Viol/gut thing but do not know if the gut winds all the way round and how that would work for me. What I am thinking about is a super long scale bass guitar with a super low note. My DB needs are met elsewhere :)

• 8 months later...

[quote name='Mike1962' timestamp='1421339904' post='2660129']
I was in Bass Centre trying NS instruments on Friday!
What I found interesting was the omni (34") scale sounded more like a Double Bass than the full size!
But for a double bass sound their short scale accoustic guitar with silcone strings is awesome!
[/quote]

Interesting that the shorter scale Omni sounded more like a Double Bass!
Is that due to improved electronics? - I wonder

For a while I had one of those really tiny Ashbory basses
That had silicone / rubber type strings
And it sounded quite DB-like. Had quite a huge sound actually,
for something so small

However, I really couldn't get on with the strings
I found playing it really difficult
Also, it seemed to go out of tune easily (though this may be because of the new strings)

Edited by Marc S