Why become a member? ×

What tubes are in your 400+?

Jimelliottbassist

Hi Jim,
Get the cryo ones from Watford :-) I'm running standard Mesa valves but will be switching at some point this year.

After talking to an expert, I'm led to believe that as long as it's good quality valves in the power section then it doesn't make too much difference on these. And the pre amp valves make the most difference to sound.

There are a few experts here so I expect someone will put us right sooner or later. I'm always looking on TB at Chef's posts about his 400+ but haven't got that much insight as to what to put in as replacements. Randall says MB valves only but then again he would.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1397587794' post='2425486']
I would read the 6L6 reports on Watford Valves. They recommended winged C 6550's for my Bass 400 and they're brilliant.
[/quote]

Unfortunately you can't fit the 6550 valves in a 400+ as the 6L6s are crammed in and there's not enough room.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1397591618' post='2425531']
Unfortunately you can't fit the 6550 valves in a 400+ as the 6L6s are crammed in and there's not enough room.
[/quote]

Slight misunderstanding there. I meant WV recommended the winged C (6550) valve in the Bass 400and they were great. The 400+ does use completely different valves and they're not interchangeable. I was illustrating the accuracy of the reports.

I have the original Mesa valves in my 400+ (I think). WV appear to recommend a Philips valve for my sound (according to the reports). Never used cryo valves myself. Can't say I'm really convinced by the whole argument myself but I stand to be corrected. Slight whiff of snake oil in my opinion but there's no evidence to support that view.

Edited by Bassman Steve

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1397657105' post='2426144']
Never used cryo valves myself. Can't say I'm really convinced by the whole argument myself but I stand to be corrected. Slight whiff of snake oil in my opinion but there's no evidence to support that view.
[/quote]
Exactly my thoughts until I asked one of the research boffs in work who knows all about metallurgy; he rolled his eyes in disgust and started to draw some digrams explaining crystalline structure in metals and I felt a bit embarrassed at not knowing as I had a large chunk of Metallurgy as part of my degree. It's not snake oil, it's all good and the claims are proven. The only questions are, will you be able to tell the difference and if so, is it worth the extra dollar? For me, I'd go non-cryo and spend the extra cash on more exotic pre-amp valves. And saying that I might just go cryo... :yarr: