Why become a member? ×

Warwick Owners, which strings and why?

Pinball

Hi, I just got myself a Warwick FNA 5 stringer with a Bart pre-amp and want to treat it to some new strings. I like the sound that it has at the moment but the trouble is that neither I or the previous owner can figure out what strings are on it other than that they are stainless. I want to retain some of the piano quality and growl without it being overpowering and was wondering what others use?

Note: I go through this every time I get a new bass and am hoping I can avoid wasting money on strings that I won't use this time. Strings that I do like and have used on other basses are Status Half rounds on my LTD, Status Hotwires 45-135, Stadium elites,[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]D'addario[/font][/color] Chrome flats, EB flats. I think for the Warwick I'll be sticking to rounds

Any assistance that helps me decide is much appreciated. I need to settle on strings before final set up

Edited by Pinball

My MiK Warwick Star Bass came fitted with Warwick Red Label strings and I've seen to reason to try another brand so far except for the fact that for some reason none of the standard sets appear to be available with the taper-wound B that came factory fitted.

I've tried Warwick Reds and I didn't really like them. They seemed a bit too muddy compared to the steels I normally use. However I'm using a set of the EMP coated strings on my 6 string and they're absolutely great. Really big but clear low end, nice aggressive but not overbearing treble when you dig in, and a lovely low mid growl to them. Definitely worth the money if they last half as long as the Elixirs I normally use!

Hmm well I stuck some Status flats on that I had lying around because I didn't like them on my other bass and they sound pretty good. They have lost most of the growl though but are lively enough to "funk". I'm surprised as I didn't like them on my other bass.

I have found that Warwicks favour nickel rather than steel strings, for me it seems to bring out the characteristics of the Warwick tone best. I have used Dr, D'addario and Dunlop strings to great effect.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1397514193' post='2424790']
I have found that Warwicks favour nickel rather than steel strings, for me it seems to bring out the characteristics of the Warwick tone best. I have used Dr, D'addario and Dunlop strings to great effect.
[/quote]

THIS!!!

I completely agree about the nickel. I only use D'addario nickels on my Warwick.

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1397509881' post='2424721']
Hmm well I stuck some Status flats on that I had lying around because I didn't like them on my other bass and they sound pretty good. They have lost most of the growl though but are lively enough to "funk". I'm surprised as I didn't like them on my other bass.
[/quote]

Last night I adjusted the pre-amp a touch and they are sounding event nicer. Next step is that I'll try them with the band.

There are an awful lot of variables here. For example my FNA has one big humbucker and a Bart pre-amp conversion.

I'd be interested to hear more about people using flats live as it wasn't something I was considering before trying these.

Thanks for the imput as its giving me plenty to think about. Having pointers is very useful.

In true end all that you get from a thread like this is a whole load of suggestions of strings to try. The only person who can say whether they are any good is you. Everybody's tastes are different and it's all subjective.

Personally I wouldn't put a set of DR strings on my bass ever again.

"[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1397561548' post='2425119']
In true end all that you get from a thread like this is a whole load of suggestions of strings to try. The only person who can say whether they are any good is you. Everybody's tastes are different and it's all subjective.

Personally I wouldn't put a set of DR strings on my bass ever again.
[/quote].

There isn't a right answer is there :D but there are lots of useful pointers

• 2 weeks later...

[/quote]
Totally agree with this comment. Ive played a warwick thumb for 8 years now and use the D'addario EXL170 Nickel wound strings. They have always produced the sound i like and i find them easier to play.

Well my experimenting will have to stop for a while as I really like the Status flats. They do it for me and sound great with my pedals too. They didn't so it for me at all on my EMG laiden LTD Surveyor or Ibby but work for me on the FNA. A really nice feel too. I'll maybe try some others next time I need a set on another bass.

Note: just realised that I now have flats or half rounds on all my basses-it wasn't planned must just be my sound.

Edited by Pinball

[/quote] Kev... you've had a fair few people agree with this... and warwickhunt too also used nickels.... can you expand why you find they work well with 'wicks? Just I'm going string shopping soon and always gravitate towards DR Full beams which are steels

Another possibility is the SIT Silencers.
They're Nickels and once worn in give a nice almost flatwound sound, hardly any finger noise at all and they growl nicely.
I had a set on my Thumb for over a year and they still sound great although i did change them out for a new set the other week.
I'm using Ti flats at the moment though, killer combo on the Thumb !!
B)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1398610284' post='2435688']
Kev... you've had a fair few people agree with this... and warwickhunt too also used nickels.... can you expand why you find they work well with 'wicks? Just I'm going string shopping soon and always gravitate towards DR Full beams which are steels
[/quote]

In my experience, I find that the less "bell like" characteristics of nickels somehow allow the woody characteristics of a Warwick to sing through. I find that stainless steel strings are a bit lively and project too much of an alert "middy" vibe for my liking. It's almost as if a Warwick benefits from just the slightest bit of taming afforded by string material. It's splitting a fine hair, but after all these years of playing both I'm convinced. I only use nickels now. I understand that we have EQ controls for fine tone adjustments, etc, but this is a fundamental quality which is perceivable however you EQ.

I've experimented with both string types on 3 of the 4 Warwicks that I've owned (I didn't even change the strings on the first one). These were a Streamer LX, Thumb NT, and my current Streamer Stage 1. The difference was most notable in the Thumb bass. It should be noted that I'm talking about strings which are played-in a bit. That's how I like them. The difference is less obvious in brand new strings.

I use a Warwick Streamer Standard bass (2001 German model) and I would say the best strings I've used on it are D'Addario ProSteels. It's naturally a warm dry sounding bass so the scooped sound of the ProSteels suits the carolena body very well.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Streamer Stage 2 and Streamer LX, both 5 'ers, with Elixir Nanowebs. Have done for years, the strings last AGES and sound fantastic, even after heavy use. TO give you an idea, I last changed my strings 4 years ago, only just changed them today :)

Sounds good to my ears too :)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1400012996' post='2449962']
D'addario Chromes - the black nylon tapewound ones, (surely some contradiction there) were ok on my fretless Warwick. I just applied the usual cure - TI flats, plenty of growl when needed.
[/quote]

Chromes have a nickel wrap, I believe. I never really understood it myself, but I don't understand them calling their new guitar strings "NY XL". People keep asking if they are nylon strings! (They aren't, btw).