Why become a member? ×

Newbie oldie

fred72

Hi, just got a gig playing bass, but I'm not really a bass guitarist (yet)! Been playing electric/acoustic guitar for 30 odd years, I picked up a 2nd-hand Sterling SB14 (which I really like BTW) to record some tracks into my home studio... I answered an ad. for band members (for acoustic rhythm) and ended up getting the bass slot ;-)

I'm really chuffed, as I always fancied doing the bass thing some more... any advice on kit much appreciated. If you read my sig. I'm practicing through a 120w acoustic amp! Doesn't sound half bad, but it's obviously not gonna cut the mustard... We'll be a 3-piece - electric guitar, drums, bass - aiming to move from small/mid venues up to festivals maybe (who knows)... am gonna have to spend whatever it takes to get a suitable amp - thinking in the region of £600-800, is that enough? I'm fussy about tone and the aim is to place the bass quite forward in the mix. Looking at new D-class mini heads and lightweight cabs, these are coming in at 300w or 500w (or even 1000w - from Orange). I'm used to low-watt all valve guitar amps that can crank up bloody loud - so even 300w sounds seriously high...

Music style? Well, rooted in 60's/70's rock/blues/folk, but definately forward thinking fusion of old and new.

Cheers

Welcome Fred.

Enjoy your time here. There are some cracking amps/cabs and great prices in the For Sale forum.

I went down the lightweight route sometime back and haven't regretted it. Genz Benz head 600 watts into two Mark Bass 2 x 10" cabs. Lovely, in yer face, up front, clear sound. :)

Thanks chaps, BTW I just looked at my thread title and username and thought - do people think I'm 72? Nope, that's me birthday, so a well rounded 42 ;-)

Here's to playing new gigs when I'm in my 70's though - hope so...

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...