Why become a member? ×

Gallien Krueger MB Fusion 500 + NEO 212-II cab

milesmayall

Hello!

I live in Sheffield, wondering if anyone had either of these:
Gallien Krueger MB Fusion 500
Gallien Krueger Cab (flexible on model, but preferably the NEO 212-II with casters)

I really want to try them out, but music shops in Sheffield are hilariously poor at bass amplification. If anyone has one that I can have a quick jam on I will buy you a pint.
If anyone has GK equipment I can buy, even better. I am also happy to travel for the right deal.
Also any general comments about this setup would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Miles

Miles, I completely agree with Discreet's critique of the amp, it is top class. I'll be in Sheffield on 26th April - get in touch if you want to arrange a demo, I could bring it down, but won't have room for any cabs.

Edited by Kirky

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1397746241' post='2427052']
Can't comment on the cab but the GK MB500 Fusion is a seriously good amp. Loud, flexible, plug & play, great tones, light.
If you're ever dahn saarf for any reason hit me up, come and check it out. :)
[/quote]

What is the difference between the 500 fusion and the 550 fusion, apart from an extra 50?

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1397755070' post='2427152']
What is the difference between the 500 fusion and the 550 fusion, apart from an extra 50?
[/quote]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#141414]AFAIK, they have the same valve preamp with the Fusion 550 having the power section from the 1001 RB-II and the Fusion 500 having the class D power module used in the MB500. The 550 has a 50W horn amp for bi-amping - and motorised controls, for some arcane reason. It's[/color][color=#141414] also much bigger and heavier. :)[/color][/font][/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1397757194' post='2427178']
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#141414]AFAIK, they have the same valve preamp with the Fusion 550 having the power section from the 1001 RB-II and the Fusion 500 having the class D power module used in the MB500. The 550 has a 50W horn amp for bi-amping - and motorised controls, for some arcane reason. It's[/color][color=#141414] also much bigger and heavier. :)[/color][/font]
[/quote]

Arcane, how? I've never come across them. Plus, do you reckon the different power stages give a different sound. Is one better then the other?

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1397758767' post='2427191']
Arcane, how? I've never come across them. Plus, do you reckon the different power stages give a different sound. Is one better then the other?
[/quote]

Arcane meaning, 'mysterious or esoteric'. Why would you want motorised controls? Just something else to go wrong, imo. As to the difference in sound, I've no idea as I've never heard a 550 Fusion. But according t'interweb, they're very similar.

Edited by discreet