Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM Bentley Cabs

ape

Just wondering if anyone as ever tried these or better still own one/some, I really like the look of them but was curious to what the sound was like and reliability as I've had bad experiences with ashdown heads before. Any help would be great.

[quote name='ape' timestamp='1397501775' post='2424585']
being bog standard isn't a bad thing depending on what the standard 4x10'cabs sound like lol
[/quote]

Me, I've only had a MAG 410, and agree with the notion that at least that one is not woolly. That said, I did experience it as being slightly indifferent/lazy, which could well be the gate to woolliness.
Reports on how the ABM differs from the MAG are wildly varying, so I think you should hear an ABM for yourself so you're not guided in the wrong direction.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1397572647' post='2425256']
Me, I've only had a MAG 410, and agree with the notion that at least that one is not woolly. That said, I did experience it as being slightly indifferent/lazy, which could well be the gate to woolliness.
Reports on how the ABM differs from the MAG are wildly varying, so I think you should hear an ABM for yourself so you're not guided in the wrong direction.
[/quote]

Sounds like good advice thanks, I've had one of the ashdown mini stacks before and was impressed with the tone especially being so cheap my only issue was that I gave up on it after heads dying in a fairly short space of time but cabs were fine

i love my mag 810!

ok i went down the mag route as i couldnt afford the abm and there were no secondhand pegs around, very happy with it its got a nice mid heavy sound as i thought it would and as many say it does have a bit of a dark sound but not muddy and can def give you the highs you want.

also the fact the new it cost me 430 quid! and is pretty hefty construction i look after it but i dnt have to treat its my baby lol

andy

[quote name='ape' timestamp='1397574023' post='2425274']
I've had one of the ashdown mini stacks before and was impressed with the tone
[/quote]

Similarly, I'm thoroughly impressed with my LB112s. They sound lovely with an old skool amp like the Little Bastard, and open up and show their ability to be quicker and airier than expected when getting a signal from a Genz Benz GBE. Love 'em.

No user experience, but saw Bruce Foxton with From The Jam last week using an Ashdown 810 & 410 stack, undefined and woolly is not how I`d describe his sound. It was also an Ashdown valve amp he was using. They can get a lovely biting sound, but still with grit and low-end.

Talking about those Ashdown Perfect 10 mini stack, I still got one around at my friend's house (hopefully he not sold it ....). the two 1x10 cab sounded pretty decent. the head were some kind lack of power. I think I might try connect my LB30 into those 16ohm cabs and see how it sound. It might be a portable mini rig here lol. Sometimes is abit foolish to take a 4x10 and the LB30 for some really small coffee shop or church thing ......

Talking about the MAG410 and the ABM410 I'm planning to buy one of these to replace my TC BC212. Still undecided yet, I've got money to buy either one but if I go for the MAG410 that mean I will have cash spent to spend else where lol.

Edited by badboy1984

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1397641386' post='2425874']
Badboy, I know it's off topic, but what are you hoping to achieve? My first impression of both makes me think I'd rather shove my basses through the BC212 than through the MAG 410.
Also, it's called [b]BC[/b] fer cryin' out loud! ;)
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, the BC212 is fantastic cab but since I'm only allow one cab in the house and that cab needs to be able to handle the volume itself on most of my gig. 8x10 is not an option and 4x10 I can probably manage the weight myself. The trickiest part is I definite need a cab with 8ohm because my Trace Elliot amp can only take 8ohm (long story). The BC410 is a 4ohm cab and the next one up would be the RS410.

So now i'm thinking about ABM410, MAG410, RS410, Ampeg 410HE or HLF.

Another option would be to buy Trace Elliot 2x10 or 1x15 cab.