Why become a member? ×

Luthier did a botch job

Hector

Had someone install a fishman full circle in my bass, only to have them make a right hash of it. Have dropped it off with someone more qualified to fix. Seems it will need a new bridge after the bodged installation. Not best impressed that the inital job has turned out so badly, will cost me more than double again to set right.

Not sure how best to approach this - any advice/similar experiences?

Trading Standards and/or name and shame...

I'd go and speak to him, let him know that you're unhappy with the standard of his work, what you plan to do and give him the chance to make financial restitution before muddying his name.

Edited by TheGreek

He should cut you a new bridge with the pick up installed properly at no charge and no questions asked. There are not many DB players around and he cannot afford his name being shamed for something as basic as fitting some adjusters (which is all a full circle is). He gotta be pretty
Bad or be having a pretty bad day to muck that up.

Edited by Rabbie

[quote name='Rabbie' timestamp='1397506671' post='2424675']
He gotta be pretty
Bad or be having a pretty bad day to muck that up.
[/quote]

+1, even I could do that without messing it up.... Was he a luthier or a bloke who can repair DBs? Theres a big difference, I've come across the latter, and would never take an instrument to one again, no mater how cheap of how quick the repair

Thanks for the advice guys. I have detailed to him what I was told from my second opinion about how exactly the installation is incorrect, and have asked for both a refund of his original fee and compensation for the cost of having a new bridge cut elsewhere (no second chances handling my bass, although I didn't say as much of course). I think that's pretty fair. He's a nice guy, and I hope that's the last of it.

I don't want to be rude or spiteful, but that installation he did could well have ended up doing some serious damage over time - luckily it was picked up on early enough! Although it was hard not to since the adjusters didn't even work....

He is a fair luthier (trained and apprenticed) who has done some minor adjustments for me in the past, and has done major work on friend's basses. Perhaps he is more used to the classical DB side of things and was out of his comfort zone with the full circle? Not sure how I feel about public name and shame (anyone care to chip in?)[b][i], but feel free to PM me if you're in the Oxford area and would like to know for peace of mind[/i][/b].

[quote name='Hector' timestamp='1397510132' post='2424724']
Thanks for the advice guys. I have detailed to him what I was told from my second opinion about how exactly the installation is incorrect, and have asked for both a refund of his original fee and compensation for the cost of having a new bridge cut elsewhere (no second chances handling my bass, although I didn't say as much of course). I think that's pretty fair. He's a nice guy, and I hope that's the last of it.

I don't want to be rude or spiteful, but that installation he did could well have ended up doing some serious damage over time - luckily it was picked up on early enough! Although it was hard not to since the adjusters didn't even work....

He is a fair luthier (trained and apprenticed) who has done some minor adjustments for me in the past, and has done major work on friend's basses. Perhaps he is more used to the classical DB side of things and was out of his comfort zone with the full circle? Not sure how I feel about public name and shame (anyone care to chip in?)[b][i], but feel free to PM me if you're in the Oxford area and would like to know for peace of mind[/i][/b].
[/quote]

Name and shame policy for me is simple: if he responds fairly and sorts this out for you the way he should, and your message seems to represent this, then no naming or shaming. If he does not respond fairly and refuses to be of further assistance to you and there is no realistic prospect of recovery, name and shame away so no-one else will make the mistake of dealing with him :)

Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum
Just to quote the Romans here...
Basically anyone can make a mistake, but if they are arrogant about it and don't agree to fix it, it is then that I would consider shaming, but only of you are 1000% sure he was in the wrong, otherwise it is your name that could end up tarnished. I claim record for the first sentence in Latin to appear on Basschat...

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1397548250' post='2424929']
[i]Nil carborundum illegitimi.[/i]
[/quote]
Hopefully it's not a case of an illegittemi luthier, just a mistake. Illegittemi anyhow is "bas***d" only in the not being wanted by your mummy sense, not in the more common sense of the expletive as we use it...
This is a very erudite place to be!

Rabbie

I defer to your superior knowledge and use of the language. It's probably cod Latin anyway, implying 'Don't let the bastards grind you down'. My Latin to O level was taught by an England footballer who was our gym master but 'did' Latin on the side. Not many of the current crop could claim that distinction, I'd bet.

To get back on course, I have been in touch with Hector who very kindly gave me the name of the bridge abuser. It wasn't anyone I've come across, fortunately.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1397550119' post='2424953']
My Latin to O level was taught by an England footballer who was our gym master but 'did' Latin on the side.
[/quote]
Brilliant!! Sorry to derail the thread but that is a gem.

• 1 month later...

I've had to re-do bridge adjuster installations before. It seems that [i]som[/i]e more "traditional" luthiers [i]can[/i] be happy to saw off by hand (wonky) then drill using a hand brace (even wonkier) ... Once it's done, there's no going back (well.. you [i]could[/i] bush it and re-drill, but you wouldn't on a decent bridge, or a decent bass!)

Equally, it can just be a slip of the hand (or workpiece) or a drill running off centre etc etc that went unnoticed until you got it back.

Other than that, +1 on all that's been said regarding getting it sorted and naming etc.