Why become a member? ×

Rattling Machine Head

AgentCooper

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:160301]

Anyone got guidance as how to repair a rattling machine head. Read elsewhere regards bit of solder in the pin joint? Or replace pin?
Happy to send to someone who can. Don't want to ruin look of these Tokai (Gotoh?) Nickel tuners.

Not seen any like this anywhere, though optimistically now also in Wanted section.

Ta

David

Is the tuning peg ear loose on the shaft or does it just seem that the whole tuning peg feels loose? My very first bass, a Columbus Jazz copy, had tuning peg tensioning collars where you used a little spanner like tool, hooked into a small hole, and tightened up the tuners that way - I see a similar small hole in the photo, on the D string tuner but I assume the other tuning pegs have them too...

• 7 years later...

I have a similar issue to the OP here. There is a rattling when I dig in on certain fretted notes. I did a little investigating and found that one of the tuning pegs is a little loose (see video). I'm not terribly technically minded so was wondering if someone could give me an idiot's guide to fixing this issue, please? I don't want to accidentally super glue the tuner at the wrong point so that it won't move! 😅

• 6 months later...

Nice one - I was thinking how I could cure a similar issue on an old Tokai Jazz bass I have - I didn't want to spoil the vintage look with newer tuners. Spotted this superglue suggestion so tried it and it seems to have worked - nice and simple ... and invisible. Thanks.

• Like 1