Why become a member? ×

New speaker set up...

andrewrx7

Tried a new combination on Sat night at a club gig. Quite liked it. I've been gradually changing away from the big heavy Trace gear to something a bit smaller and lighter. All my personal opinions, and granted what I like will not reflect what many others like, but any how, my opinions to date:

Head = Trace AH300. Always use pre-shape, with eq off. Compression on, set to just over half way. Bass set typically to full volume on both neck and bridge pick ups, with tone pots set to mid positions. Input on the head set to thumbs up LED! :-)

Set up 1: Trace 4x10. Nice and punchy, but thought it lacked some low end thump.
Set up 2: So, invested in a Trace 1x15, to go classic 1x15 + 4x10 stack. It certainly added some bottom to the overall sound. Relatively pleased, but at times it did seem quite boomy.
Set up 3: Bought a TC Electronics BC2x10. Also bought one of those isolation pads to lift the cabs off the floor, which I use all the time now. Really liked the overall sound with this. TC on the bottom and TE on top. Got rid of the booming and had a nice and punchy sound again. I'd also say the BC210 certainly had a nice low end sound to it, something the TE cab was lacking. Overall, a really good set up.
Set up 4: That pesky TE 4x10 weighs a ton, so decided to go for a matching TC cab and bought the BC212. Also been reading about vertical stacking etc, so this would allow me the opportunity to try this out. 2x12 on the bottom and BC 210 on top, in a 4x1 speaker arrangement. Disappointed, to be honest. Can't quite put my finger on it, but to my ears, thickened up the sound alot, but seemed to lack definition to the sound that the 4x10 gave. Also was audibly less effective, really needed to push the amp high to get volume to keep up with the other two guys. Didn't like this sound at all.
Set up 5: Decided I wanted to stick with this vertical array format, but wanted another 2x10. Finally went for an Ashdown MAG210t (slim cab version). Have done 1 gig with this so far, and really pleased with it. BC on the bottom and MAG on the top, again as a 4x1 vertical array. Nice and punchy sound, with a good deep bottom end. Some nice high end "twang" from the strings to, which I like. Both cabs have tweeters, but non adjustable. The MAG cab is smaller than the BC210, but weights quite a bit more - not really what I'd call a lightweight cab! Plus they only give you one handle which makes carrying it a bit awkward. But overall, I like the sound at the gig. A good even sound, at least to me, around the club as I walked around during the soundcheck - due to the vertical array? Even the guitarist said good sound, which he rarely does. Normally complains he can't hear me.

So, although very subjective, for a smaller rig and a bit lighter, the BC210 + MAG210 has had a good start. Think I will still break out the big TE 410 at a particular pub, but will be sticking the this combination for the time-being. Guess I should really try to sell some of the cabs now, I don't want to become a hoarder!

Me?... vary between 212, 2x210 or 2x112 and I turn up as loud as I need to be to hear myself alongside everyone else.
Gtr is sensible and takes off the bass of his gtr..and bleeds thru the P.A.
Keys have mini P.A backline and bleeds to the P.A and drums have kick only for small places.
This is our default rig and we always have a good sound-they say. I can believe this as I can hear
us sounding good from where I stand.

So it doesn't need to be that complicated... if you can't hear someone in the band, something else is too loud
or the mix is unbalanced, IMO.

I would suggest trying both the TC cabinets (if you still have both) in the horizontal position (2 x 2 speaker arrangement).

I have 2 BC212 cabs, and find that the sound is much bassier and beefier in the horizontal layout. I don't know the science behind why, I just know that that is what happens.