Why become a member? ×

Orange AD200 & Ampeg SVT CL

Pow_22

[size="2"]Toying with the idea of swapping out my Ampeg SVT & 410 HLF for an Orange AD200 and OBC410 (toying in the very earliest stages of the sense, I just LOVE my ampeg).[/size]

[size="2"]Weight isnt an issue for me, ive been playing all valve rigs for a while and NEVER had that tone from anything else (emulators, pedals, digital thingymabobs, modellers) its just I don’t need a full 300w valve power for what im doing nowadays. [/size]

[size="2"]I have toyed with the idead of the V4BH that’s on here at the moment but think Id need more than 100w as i like a reasonably clean valve tone, certainly not full on fuzz/distortion but a tiny bit of breakup is good hence me looking at smaller wattage valve heads. There are plenty of Orange AD200 Vs Ampeg SVT threads on talkbass but some over there are so Ampeg biased I don’t feel im getting a true experienced opinion[/size]
[size="2"]Has anyone here had both of these amps and can shed some light on their differences other than power and earlier break-up of the AD200?[/size]

[size="2"]I play 99% of the time with a flats loaded P bass. I love old school thump with a nice warm valve tone and the slightest hint of break-up on the lower register.[/size]
[size="2"] [/size]
[size="2"]Price wise I would hop that my fully re-valved ampeg would cover me for the AD200 but would need to 'top up' as it were for the matching OCB410[/size]

AD200b Mk3 - Lighter, cheaper to retube, cheaper to buy in the first place, amazing Orange breakup, simplistic plug and play tone, extremely loud even clean (IMO), and ridiculously loud with the gain cranked, UK warranty and UK customer service.

I love my AD200b. I barely use it now but I will never sell it.

I compared AD200b with my SVT VR on my SVT810 and I prefered the tone of SVT VR. I would be happier if SVT VR would weight as orange, price for last retubing was a bit devastating, but the tone...I prefere ampeg, but that is my just my opinion, you can´t go wrong if you prefer Orange.

+1 on the Matamp. They are rated at 200w clean.
I've heard from a few people (add salt as required) that the Orange ones only do 140 clean.

Better build quality too. Nothing wrong with the Orange at all. I've seen them for as little as £750 used, which is a bargain.

[quote name='davedave' timestamp='1397742546' post='2427013']
+1 on the Matamp. They are rated at 200w clean.
I've heard from a few people (add salt as required) that the Orange ones only do 140 clean.

Better build quality too. Nothing wrong with the Orange at all. I've seen them for as little as £750 used, which is a bargain.
[/quote]

Nah...I've heard that...its more than that, plus tube life, the way it is tested, the age of the amp, all make a difference. You get a fantastic warranty with Orange as well

Not knocking Matamp, as they are obviously superb, but if you like the Orange, you may as well just get one.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1397751028' post='2427103']
Nah...I've heard that...its more than that, plus tube life, the way it is tested, the age of the amp, all make a difference. You get a fantastic warranty with Orange as well

Not knocking Matamp, as they are obviously superb, but if you like the Orange, you may as well just get one.
[/quote]
I agree.
If anything I find the AmpegSVT CL and Orange AD200MK3 are more alike in sound character.Fat, meaty sound,Matamp is a different sound,more Mesa/Boogie,actually very much like Mesa Boogie Bass400(non plus)-Mesa/boogie Buster200.IMO.
When using a clean sound,or next to,I think maybe the Ampeg has more tonal possibillities in the midrange-top.The Orange has more one clean sound in midrange and top,just more or less midrange and more or less top IMO.
Also,next time I'm buying an amp,cab or both,if I would hear the combination I like in a decent room I will buy those very things and NOT something like those things.Exactly the same specs,and save tons of time and money.But that's me.

Edited by Anders