Why become a member? ×

Cheapest guitar polish/cleaner?

jimcroisdale

I use raw linseed oil for natural wood finishes (rosewood boards and open pore swamp ash body); I've used metal cleaner on painted surfaces to remove light scratches and then a car dash cleaner aerosol for a polish. I've even used the Back To Black type spray to polish painted bodies and also on ebonol boards.

I know you're not meant to use furniture polish because it contains chemicals that can cause problems with cellulose finishes, and can make resprays difficult too apparently.

I don't like to use it because of the feel it gives when you get a tiny bit on your fingers. I much prefer the proper guitar stuff myself.

Jim

I really like the Fender Custom Shop guitar cleaner, I get it in 2 fl oz bottles. It's about a fiver, but you pour it on instead of spraying it, it's creamy rather than watery. I got a bottle before christmas and it's about half full (or is it half empty), I don't like cleaning though. I think it works out a bit cheaper than the Dunlop one, but muck better imho.

[quote name='jimcroisdale' timestamp='1397657941' post='2426155']
I know you're not meant to use furniture polish because it contains chemicals that can cause problems with cellulose finishes, and can make resprays difficult too apparently.

I don't like to use it because of the feel it gives when you get a tiny bit on your fingers. I much prefer the proper guitar stuff myself.

Jim
[/quote]

See your point about cellulose finishes, but most guitars are finished in poly nowadays, your Ernie Ball Musicman is. I read somewhere that Status use it on their basses before shipping.

Who's to know that a bottle of guitar polish doesn't contain the same stuff as furniture polish ?

Just bottled and packaged and overpriced ?

:)

Dr Duck's Ax Wax is brilliant. We use it in the shop to clean almost all guitars before they leave and we're still not through our first bottle after about 10 months!

You have to use a really tiny amount to clean with then just wipe away. Works on most fretboards and cleans up frets nicely too :)

http://www.ducksdeluxe.com/ddaxwax.html

Edited by molan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1401268513' post='2461753']
Just but a really nice Dunlop Microfibre cloth. With a bit of breath and a few wipes you get a lovely clean surface without using any polish :-)
[/quote]

What he said, any decent microfibre will do, just don't wash it in detergent.

CHEAP?! You pay how many hundreds of quid on a nice bass and you want CHEAP?! That's about as bad as the historical area in East London that traditionally had the butcher chops that gave rise to the word "cheap" as an adjective.

Using cheap polish will turn the finish of your bass into a bloody shambles, especially if it has silicone in the mix. Don't be penny-wise and pound-foolish.

Zymol. The standard. Save your gig money, buy a decent bottle, and use it sparingly. It will last forever, and your instrument will always look great. I use Zymol on my collectible guitars and basses, and if you want any more of an endorsement, Mr. JH of Rickenbacker recommends it.

[url="http://www.zymol.co.uk/zymolcreamewax8oz.aspx"]http://www.zymol.co....eamewax8oz.aspx[/url]

In the USA, Zymol is now marketing the original in another container that is actually labeled guitar polish. But it is the same product.

Edited by iiipopes