Why become a member? ×

Odd Question Lakland bridge replaced with a badass??

krispn

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1397676399' post='2426432']
I don't see what the point would be. The Lakland bridge is bomb proof and more attractive. Plus mass wise I doubt there's a lot in it.
[/quote]
+1000

I like the aesthetic of it and I've been a huge fan of the BA in the past. While the Lakland bridge 'fits' on their own brand I prefer the BA on a fender style bass. No doubt the Lakland is an improvement over the BBOT but it's my personal pref. Well I appreciate the candor I'm more interested in hearing if the bridge would fit into the existing holes.

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1397679577' post='2426482']
No, a BA (any version) would require new screw holes.
[/quote]
What is the distance between centres of the Lakland screws?
The BA3 screws are at 20mm centres

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1397680740' post='2426509']

The BA3 screws are at 20mm centres
[/quote]

The Lakland bridge only has 3 mounts compared to the 5 on the Badass. I don't have a BA to measure atm but I don't think it would be a simple job.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1397680740' post='2426509']
[/quote]
Lakland screw centres are 35mm apart. As well as the lateral difference in screw centres, the screw holes themselves are in a completely different position relative to the saddles compared with a BA. Pic attached for comparison.

[attachment=160549:Bridge comparison.jpg]

Another thing to consider is that , from memory ( I've never directly compared them ) , the base plate on a Badass may well be a bit thicker than the Lakland bridge. The Badass is certainly has a higher profile than a standard Fender bridge. That means if you swap to a Badass then you may have to either shim the neck or countersink the new bridge to get the action as low on your bass.

Swapping the perfectly good Lakland bridge to a Badass would be an extremely pointless exercise. The Badass is a good bridge in its' own right , but the Lakland is also excellent in so much as it works well and sounds good. What more could you want ? Also, as other folks have mentioned , that oval bridge is in effect Lakland's trademark. It would be silly to deface your bass by removing it for no discernible advantage.

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1397713318' post='2426652']
The Lakland bridge only has 3 mounts compared to the 5 on the Badass. I don't have a BA to measure atm but I don't think it would be a simple job.
[/quote]

The BA3 has 3 screw positions, 20mm apart. Yet if the Lakland holes are 35 apart, then you'd have to drill holes to fit the BA. (I do have a BA3, so it's easy for me to tell.)

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1397834563' post='2427795']
If it isn't broken, then you need to ask yourself why are you trying to fix it?
[/quote]

The BBOT wasn't broken but until someone came along and made it better...

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1397835297' post='2427802']

The BBOT wasn't broken but until someone came along and made it better...
[/quote]

But the Lakland bridge is already an improved version of the BBOT.

Edited by cocco

I'm not a big fan of the BBOT. It sounds O.K, I suppose, but in my experience the saddles are prone to movement and constantly slip on it, and it needs readjusting every time you change strings. If you are going to use a BBOT, at least make it one with tracks on the baseplate for the saddles to sit in.

Other more substantial alternatives such as the Badass ( or Lakland!) offer more stability and better clarity to the overall sound, in my experience at least. My old Jazz Bass sounded loads better when I had a Badass installed , especially in the upper registers, from what I remember. .