Why become a member? ×

Dingwall question

leschirons

Due to me being one of those weirdos where a 34" scale feels great and a 35" doesn't, I was wondering how people get on with a scale length that extends from 34" to 37" depending on the string you're playing.

As the individual bridge units are also offset, I guess that only half of the extra B string length is out to my left if that makes sense. It's not a post about getting used to fanned frets but purely a scale length question so I'm hoping to hear from Dingwall users that are, or were like me regarding the 34" verses 35" thing.

Thanks

I am a 34" player, I dont think I have ever played a 35" scale bass that I know of. I generally play Ibanez's (4 & 5) but also some jazz basses.
Today I got a dingwall combustion, and I have spent the last 3 1/2 hours playing it, so probably a good person to say what the transition is like.

I was a little concerned about the scale as 37 sounds huge and my hands aren't that big, but honestly I haven't really noticed the size. Currently I need to get used to it as it is very wide compared to what I am used to but it is so nice to play.

I thought i would give it a spin on rocksmith to see how my playing compared on the same tracks I normally play and it seemed I was struggling more than on the ibanez, but I scored higher on almost all of them so I guess there is something there.

Actually the only thing I found really awkward was knowing where to play, as there were pickups in the way where i normally play, and as they are slanted, that is most of the way. All of these things are just getting used to it.

But in all of that, I didn't notice the scale being big.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1397678664' post='2426466']
Due to me being one of those weirdos where a 34" scale feels great and a 35" doesn't, I was wondering how people get on with a scale length that extends from 34" to 37" depending on the string you're playing.
[/quote]
You are not a weirdo....you are unique... You are you!.

35" doesn't work for me either, it has a to be 34". I cant answer your question as I have never played a Dingwall...but I would love to try one out for size someday.

No problem for me. Took all of a few minutes to get to grips with it.

The problems I had were with low frets on the D and G strings. Lots of fret buzz and skiffed notes to start.

Now I can swap from Dingwall to Warwick 34" to Gibson T-bird with no issues.

I have some knowledge of Woodinblack's bass as it was mine until recently.

For me it was the 5-string bit that I struggled with just because I have played 4s to this point. That said I have pretty immediately replaced it with a 4-string Dingwall as I really like the fanned fret system. The scale length was never really an issue although I should say I'm 6'3" with a long wingspan so it was never going to be an issue for me.

I recognise the 'where do I anchor my right hand' thing Woddy mentioned, however I figured out that what worked for me was to put my thumb on the rounded corner of the neck pickup and as the pickups are slanted too, you get a nice spot to play in below your thumb.

I should say that the oft quoted thing is that it takes seconds to get used to was not my experience. A couple of hours practice definitely helps.

Probably took me a bit longer. It will take a while to get used to the size of the neck, and certainly at the top I am missing the notes a bit, especially standing up where looking down the note you want on the g string is 2 frets away from the dot.
But it is just a familiarity thing.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1397681878' post='2426529']
I thought i would give it a spin on rocksmith to see how my playing compared on the same tracks I normally play and it seemed I was struggling more than on the ibanez, but I scored higher on almost all of them so I guess there is something there.
[/quote]

The Gods of Gaming and Low End Rumble have been united in Dingwall glory ;) :D

Hahaha that's awesome though, I expect the 5/B string is the cleanest you've played yet? Should be with all that tension!

Having played it a bit more now, the stated aim of the Dingwall definitely works, you can play from the E to the B without a change of tone, and I haven't played another 5 where that is true. I do notice the scale length more than the change but it does seem faster. What is more noticeable for me though is I think the faster is because due to the pickup position I am actually playing lighter so my hand can move faster, and I think that is down to the pickups meaning I can't dig in as much.

One thing for sure, it is an enjoyable bass to play and sounds so nice and clear

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1397812050' post='2427562']
Having played it a bit more now, the stated aim of the Dingwall definitely works, you can play from the E to the B without a change of tone, and I haven't played another 5 where that is true. I do notice the scale length more than the change but it does seem faster. What is more noticeable for me though is I think the faster is because due to the pickup position I am actually playing lighter so my hand can move faster, and I think that is down to the pickups meaning I can't dig in as much.

One thing for sure, it is an enjoyable bass to play and sounds so nice and clear
[/quote]

Thanks for that, your replies have been very helpfull. Tempted to now find one and have a go (just to see like :rolleyes: )

I have a mate back in blighty who has one and loves it but he was always a 35" man anyway so thanks again for your views.