Why become a member? ×

Thoughts for a "different" pickup to pair with a P

hamfist

Just mulling things around really. I have a bass with a P pickup (it's an SPB-3 and I want to keep that one in there) in the standard P spot and I'd like to pop something a bit different in the bridge position. I've tried all sorts of PJ's and I was wanting to try something different than just adding a J.
It's an active bass BTw. I was sort of considering a Bartolini MK4 but have no idea of how it might match, or blend with, the P. Googling has left me still in the dark about the MK4's output compared to a hot P pickup.
Anyone have any thoughts about that ? Or suggestions of other pickups I might try in that bridge position ? BTW, I've tried a couple of P/MM builds and even though it has it's merits it's not something I want to do again for the moment.

[quote name='krysh' timestamp='1397681011' post='2426516']
I have Nordstand P with Nordstrand Bigsplit at the bridge in my 2 guild pilots and this combination is killer! (see profile pic)
[/quote]

Interesting ! How well do the two pickups blend ? I am mainly looking for a pickup to blend with the P, rather than one to solo in the bridge position.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1397682077' post='2426531']
Interesting ! How well do the two pickups blend ? I am mainly looking for a pickup to blend with the P, rather than one to solo in the bridge position.
[/quote]
they blend perfectly, work ace together.

[quote name='krysh' timestamp='1397682160' post='2426532']
they blend perfectly, work ace together.
[/quote]

Cool ! One more question.... I can't see your profile pic in any detail at all. How far back from the P is your Big Split ? If you could measure the distance from pickup to pickup centre and post it here I will send you a cheque for £1000 ! ;)

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1397716029' post='2426668']
Cool ! One more question.... I can't see your profile pic in any detail at all. How far back from the P is your Big Split ? If you could measure the distance from pickup to pickup centre and post it here I will send you a cheque for £1000 ! ;)
[/quote]
well here you go:

send me a pm for my adress! B)

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1397725579' post='2426755']
I was going to suggest a second P, but I noticed you have one in your sig. So, while I have no experience of them, something I might consider would be a stacked Jazz with a coil tap for extra versatility.
[/quote]

Yes, the bass is currently set up as a double P, and I have tried double P's in several different spacings and configurations. Just looking to try something a bit different

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1397738364' post='2426961']
How about an MM type p/up? If you got one of the 4-wire versions (or is it 5 wires with the earth) you could have a micro switch for series/parallel/single coil.
[/quote]

I've done a couple of MM/P's. However, I am wanting rather a "thinner" sound than a MM pickup produces (and it's single coil option would be just too thin to match with the P).

I am thinking that Krysh's suggestion of something like a big split might be exactly what I am looking for.

Anybody else have any experience of the Bartolini's and their possible output compared to my hot P pickup ?

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1397741722' post='2426997']
Cool ! one thousand smackeroos are on their way to you ! Many thanks.
[/quote]
btw, this is how the zebra pilots sounds with fender 9050l flats (both pickups full, tone -30%, if I remember correctly):
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddWCbT7cIdo[/media]

[quote name='krysh' timestamp='1397750856' post='2427102']

btw, this is how the zebra pilots sounds with fender 9050l flats (both pickups full, tone -30%, if I remember correctly):
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddWCbT7cIdo[/media]
[/quote]

THat sounds good. All passive, right ?

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1397794589' post='2427461']
THat sounds good. All passive, right ?
[/quote]
jep, no onboard preamp needed. these nordstrands have a lot output, do a lot of different nuances when you use the vol/tone pots and they react beautifully to your fingertips. I love them, they made completely new instruments out of my old pilots.

Edited by krysh