Why become a member? ×

Was down Denmark Street today

JamesBass

So I was in our Nations Capital today, and had some free time, my guitarist friend whom I was with, revealed on our travels he's never been to Denmark Street. So I took him there, we went in all the usual places, Wunjos, Regents Sounds, Hanks and my personal favourite No.Tom Vintage and Rare guitars.

While in No.Tom, I spy a 66 P Bass, I just HAD to have a play. So I ask and I'm given the bass and got plugged in to an Ampeg B2, from the second I had the P in my hands, I knew that I'll ALWAYS be a P man, the feel of the bass itself was sublime! It just felt great in the hands and wasn't too heavy. Then I played the first few notes and boy was it good! The tone knob did so much more than it does on my 2011 Mex P bass, the sound was awesome! It could go from woody and deep to bright and clanky! Perfection in my eyes!

I just wish I had the £6k to drop on it! But a huge +1 to all the shops down Denmark Street as always!

My favourite year for Precisions. I've done the pre-CBS thing but find the basses from '66 to '73 the best players. Still light (for the most part), B profile necks, tort plates - what's not to like?

I would look for an early 70's bass and you'll find it pretty much the same as that '66 and much cheaper.

Always work making an appointment with Andy Baxter if you are shopping in the capital - better selection and generally lower prices for better quality gear than any place on Denmark St in my opinion.

£6k for a '66P - having a laugh. I'd want John Paul Jones in the hard case for that sort of money!

Cheers,
Rich

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1397717700' post='2426677']
My favourite year for Precisions. I've done the pre-CBS thing but find the basses from '66 to '73 the best players. Still light (for the most part), B profile necks, tort plates - what's not to like?

I would look for an early 70's bass and you'll find it pretty much the same as that '66 and much cheaper.
[/quote]

I'd agree on that as well from my limited experience.
Edit to say, especially if your after a player you can gig with and not a museum piece.

Edited by Highfox

Whats happening with the Bass Centre. I was there on Monday... and I seemed to be in an alternative world where they were attentive, wanted me to play everything and were genuinely being top guys.

I was looking round for the ghost of Beadle.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1397696831' post='2426633']
You can get them for less than that, I'm sure
[/quote]
I'm sure you can, however this was about the best condition 60s P I've ever seen in the flesh/wood. Even my 2011 Mex is in worse shape than that P and I take great care of my basses, well I'd like to think I do aha!

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1397722108' post='2426724']
James, you're a Pompey lad. I'm in Waterlooville if you ever want to dive up and see what I mean on the bass front.
[/quote]
Hi Steve, I'm actually Purbrook based so only round the corner! I'll drop you a PM sometime soon and might have to take you up on that offer!

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1397691909' post='2426619']
So I was in our Nations Capital today, and had some free time, my guitarist friend whom I was with, revealed on our travels he's never been to Denmark Street. So I took him there, we went in all the usual places, Wunjos, Regents Sounds, Hanks and my personal favourite No.Tom Vintage and Rare guitars.

While in No.Tom, I spy a 66 P Bass, I just HAD to have a play. So I ask and I'm given the bass and got plugged in to an Ampeg B2, from the second I had the P in my hands, I knew that I'll ALWAYS be a P man, the feel of the bass itself was sublime! It just felt great in the hands and wasn't too heavy. Then I played the first few notes and boy was it good! The tone knob did so much more than it does on my 2011 Mex P bass, the sound was awesome! It could go from woody and deep to bright and clanky! Perfection in my eyes!

I just wish I had the £6k to drop on it! But a huge +1 to all the shops down Denmark Street as always!
[/quote]The tone control on my '63 is really powerful, probably down to the capacitors that used then. £6k! Wow maybe I should re-evaluate what I might get for my P.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1397727716' post='2426782']
Whats happening with the Bass Centre. I was there on Monday... and I seemed to be in an alternative world where they were attentive, wanted me to play everything and were genuinely being top guys.

I was looking round for the ghost of Beadle.
[/quote]

Got taken over by Wunjos. I was in there a couple of weeks ago and found the new the staff are way, way better than the old crowd. Got asked politely if there was anything they could help with, and unlike the previous crew they didn't give me a sneering look when I said I was just browsing. Ended up chatting with the manager about the best way to sell my Stingray, and he strongly recommended Basschat!