Why become a member? ×

Is My Valve Amp Too Hot ?

Bloc Riff Nut

Hi,

I think I'm looking for peace of mind really.I have an Orange AD200B, which after a 4hr rehearsal felt quite hot. Not so hot that you can't keep your hand on the grille above the valves, but warm enough to have me type this "I'm a bit unsure"t thread.
I can hear the fan running, it's very quiet or I'm a bit deaf. I'm playing through a Barefaced Compact or Midget. One cab is enough for rehearsals, so it's one 8 ohm load plugged into the correct 8 ohm speaker outputput. Master at 10 O'clock, gain at 2 O'clock and the eq at ; trebble 2 O'clock, bass 10 O'clock, mid 10 O'clock)
How warm do your valve amps run, and how long do you wait before putting them in the flight case?

I love the full sound of this amp, amp gas is cured.
Cheers,

Phil.

If you can keep your hand on the grille above the valves, then I'd say you have nothing to worry about. Valve amps get hot! It's the nature of the beast. I don't wait at all before putting mine in its case.

If you're taking the amp from a warm room into a cold car or van, better that it be in its case. In my humble opinion.

Edited by discreet

fan? what is this fan you speak of in an ad200b?

mine gets toasty warm, I give it at least 10 minutes on standby and then another 10 to cool a bit after power down before I put it's roqsolid jacket on to move it to the car boot ;)

[quote name='Bloc Riff Nut' timestamp='1397724895' post='2426747']
Hi,

I think I'm looking for peace of mind really.I have an Orange AD200B, which after a 4hr rehearsal felt quite hot. Not so hot that you can't keep your hand on the grille above the valves, but warm enough to have me type this "I'm a bit unsure"t thread.
I can hear the fan running, it's very quiet or I'm a bit deaf. I'm playing through a Barefaced Compact or Midget. One cab is enough for rehearsals, so it's one 8 ohm load plugged into the correct 8 ohm speaker outputput. Master at 10 O'clock, gain at 2 O'clock and the eq at ; trebble 2 O'clock, bass 10 O'clock, mid 10 O'clock)
How warm do your valve amps run, and how long do you wait before putting them in the flight case?

I love the full sound of this amp, amp gas is cured.
Cheers,

Phil.
[/quote]

Hi Phil

Glad you're enjoying the amp. I was never concerned with the heat from the amp when I used it and it was totally reliable in all the time that I had it. As I said, the only reason I sold it was because of the weight.

Sounds like I have nothing to worry about.
I new that really, honest. It's just one of those things; when you have a new toy that's so lovely you want to make sure you don't break it.
The amp is in excellent condition Purpolaris, I intend to look after it, as you have done.
Thanks for easing my unfounded worries.

Cheers,

Phil

Some amps are designed to run hot and as long as the components are spec'd to do that,
then it will be fine. But those units will not be cheap so as long as the companies legislate
for that it should be a problem.
But cheap and hot aren't very good bed-fellows to my mind...