Why become a member? ×

Fender Modern Player Jazz

aende

Just scored one of these from Enrico on the forum,

Great bass to play, but a bit middy for me.......what can I do for low cost?!
[list]
[*]Change pickups?
[/list]

Difficult as they are 5 string twinjazz and there does not appear to be many options aside rewinding the originals.
[list]
[*]Preamp?
[/list]

The configuration is odd - selector switch for coil taps, 2 x volume controls and a tone control. I could put in an OBP1 with a stacked pot for bass and treble - any other thoughts?

Any other thoughts?

I'm working on this just now, I'm thinking preamp with normal (on/on/on) switches for parallel/series/single coil, though I may well look at sorting the pickups too. I fell for the neck on this bass, and the body seems decent quality so I think it'll be worth upgrading.

<p>[quote name='EmmettC' timestamp='1397764444' post='2427255']<br />
I&#39;m working on this just now, I&#39;m thinking preamp with normal (on/on/on) switches for parallel/series/single coil, though I may well look at sorting the pickups too. I fell for the neck on this bass, and the body seems decent quality so I think it&#39;ll be worth upgrading.<br />
[/quote]<br />
<br />
</p>

agreed! My thought is to either go for a standard setup, like the east j retro and accept humbuckers or dome sort of switching fir the coils, i looked at stacked vol/blend pots, but they are expensive. I also thought about 4 volumes: 2 stacked pots, a retrovibe stinger preamp with trebles and bass. Loads of options tba and i don't want to over complicate.

I was looking at one of these - but this isn't the first thread I've seen where someone wants to augment or change the core sound of this bass - yet Fender would have you believe it's a tone monster what with the two humbuckers and all... so what's going on? :)

I have a passive 5 string bass with 2 humbuckers and rotary switches for the pickup options and it sound great, it has a variety of tones all very usable so I'm surprised the Fender doesn't sound so good as it's a similar setup.

One thing you could try is to unscrew the pickups and rotate each of them 180 degrees. On the 'single coils only' setting, you'll then have a setting close to a regular Jazz Bass (both inner coils active) as the factory setting is for the two outer coils, which I found sounded a bit nasal due to the distance between them. It might tighten up the setting with the bridge set to humbucker/neck set to single coil and then back the balance slightly towards the bridge.

I putted J-Retro 01 preamp in my modern player 4. I leaved rotary pickup selector on it and carved little bit wood under the pickguard for battery. Connectin' electronics was quite difficult but it was worth of it. Now it is my go around bass even after my Fodera:)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1397839987' post='2427878']
I was looking at one of these - but this isn't the first thread I've seen where someone wants to augment or change the core sound of this bass - yet Fender would have you believe it's a tone monster what with the two humbuckers and all... so what's going on? :)
[/quote]

The same issue that all the modern player stuff has. It's trying too hard to be something it's not and on a budget, that was always going to fall short somewhere. It's the same with the HSH strat. Great neck, nice translucent crimson finish but pickups are awful.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1397839987' post='2427878']
[/quote]

I did a gig last week where the other bass player used a MPJ. We used the same amp at the same settings, and (sorry if you're reading this other bass player) but I thought the tone was quite unpleasant. Mid-heavy, but not in a funky pokey way, but in an unsatisfying and borderline harsh way,

Edited by Roland Rock

So, who is an electronic guru?

I need a circuit for:

pickup A - 3 way coil selector (coil A, B, and both together)
Pickup B - 3 way Coil selector (coil A, B, and both together)

Volume A pickup
Volume B pickup

Aguilar OBP3 TK PP (I can figure this bit out!)

The rest is a fecking mystery to me, but once I have a diagram, I can solder!

ordering my upgrades:

Schaller BML 534 Tuners
Hipshot 3 string retainer
ABM 6250b webster brass nut
2 mini toggle switches for coil taps
retrovibe stinger preamp

So, I should be running - parallel, series, coil tap for each humbucker, 2 x volumes into preamp. Bridge out the volume on the preamp (i.e. cut out the pot and join the wires - I assume this would be the same as full volume for a stingray preamp!?!)

And boom!

I agree, the dj5 is an immense bass, however, as a budget 5 string bought secondhand and a second hand east preamp, the mp jazz is turning out to be pretty cool. Will add coil tap switches at somepoint.

So, the actual mods are:

hipshot 3 way string retainer (original ber retainer removed)
Schaller machine heads (to be fitted)
East J retro deluxe preamp (fits perfectly and the Fender MP jazz v already has a fitted stereo jack!)
Coil tap switches (to be fitted, although the sound is pretty good without the coil taps!)
ABM 6250b webmaster brass nut (to be fitted)

I will also be sanding off the varnish on the back of the neck, gets a bit sweaty for me!