Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT 3 Pro users...honest opinions

Jonesy64

[quote name='Jonesy64' timestamp='1398107677' post='2430576']
What are you carrying your 3 Pro's around in.....rack case, flight case, padded bag?
[/quote]

I had thought about a padded rack bag (for transport only) but I'm probably going to use the foam-padded box that came with my Pedaltrain 2, as I only use the pedalboard with geetar, not bass.

[quote name='Jonesy64' timestamp='1398109334' post='2430597']
I've been looking around for padded bags and cases but haven't been able to find one that fits so far.

Had you already tracked down the right sized rack bag?
[/quote]

Forgot to mention, the ones I've seen don't seem to have enough room to accommodate the big grab handles on the front of the amp.

I own SVT 3 Pro. I bought it used of eBay. It had all original Sovtek valves still in it (5 year old non USA made). It is my first proper amp (before I owned TE GP7 2x10 combo) and I think it's amazing. I wouldn't think twice on picking up another one. There are lots of different ones out there but if you are after Ampeg sound and don't want to spend hundreds on Classics this is one you should go for. I sold my BDDI Deluxe too, lets be honest - it does do a good job but it's not the real thing...

Issues when I bought it:

Big Transformer loose - added one more screw to keep it locked in

Revalve, I used mixed valves and switched positions a lot, JJ, Sovtek, Tungsol

BIAS, can be easily done yourself if you are know what you are doing. As reported before - trim pot is highly sensitive, don't turn it more than thick of a hair at once. Need mV meter and trimmer (plastic - you don't want to drop metal screwdriver inside powered amp), you can replace the trim pot but I just locked it with a drop of silicone.
THIS IS THE MAIN ISSUE and I think most of the time when users report it's underpowered their amps BIAS needs adjusting
Here, I am not sure about this but I felt like after adjusting the bias my effects loop also improved on the low end of fq - before it was "weak" I might be wrong on this though (didn#t want to set bias back down just to chcekc it)

Power: more than enough, I set up the gain so the led is on most of the time (dimming out as the strings rings out), I used it with 4x10 Marshal cab 8ohm, Eden 4x10 XST 4 ohm and never had volume issues, active Warwick Corvete (-15dB button in). If you need boost use EQ volume slider but I never actually needed it (remember the BIAS) and master was usually around 1-2 oclock with CC drums smasher and very loud filthy guitar. Now I have ACME Low B2 but need to do some work on it so don't know how this works out yet.

Tube Gain: I like to keep it around 11-12 oclock. It's already been explained, full on it's full headroom modern type of sound, the more you go counterclockwise the more tubey/compressed sound becomes. At least how I feel it.

I keep it in 4U rack along with Rane DC24 comp at the moment. Remember about vents, don't cover them too much.

Mynargh!

[quote name='ambugatone' timestamp='1398169867' post='2431090']
Issues when I bought it:

Big Transformer loose - added one more screw to keep it locked in

Revalve, I used mixed valves and switched positions a lot, JJ, Sovtek, Tungsol
[/quote]

Excellent idea for the transformer, ambugatone I assume you mean a second nut to use as a 'lock nut', this would prevent the nut from working loose due to vibration.

I will also be swapping the 12AX7 valves around to get the best performance.

[quote name='ambugatone' timestamp='1398177413' post='2431221']
Yes, ideal is self locking screw (with rubbery extended top) screwed on top of the oroginal one. Nothing will move it. Normal one should do the trick too.
[/quote]
Yep, they're known as 'stiff nuts' or 'ny-nuts' (because of the nylon insert). I think I have some in my bits box, just need to find one with the right thread.

My SVT 3 Pro finally arrived yesterday. Had a quick plug n play this morning. First impressions are very favourable and has the tone I was hoping for. Got the red light clipping and master at noon. Fantastic low thump ...it's really pushing air through the cab, mid punchy and a nice top end clank. All the push buttons make a noticeable difference as of course does the EQ so plenty of tone shaping options....perhaps too many as someone previously mentioned :-)

Got a practice Tuesday night and next gig Saturday 3rd so all being well at practice it'll be all systems go for Saturday!

Thanks again for all the advice :-)

• 1 month later...

I finally got round to using mine in anger today (well, yesterday now!) and I am well pleased. I played my '73P through it at a jam, and it sounded classic. I was also able to hear [b]andyonbass[/b] giving my setup a workout with renditions of a Jam tune among other things. I don't normally crave treble, and the P puts out plenty despite being strung with flats, but I must say the bright switch usefully extends the range of top end available.

The cab was my BF Compact, so that would be 275W max output into 8ohm. It was plenty loud enough against a drumkit and 2 or 3 guitarists with the gain set to just flashing the red LED, and master at noon, with no extra help from the graphic. I can barely wait to gig this lot next Friday with both BF cabs.

Jonesy, how are you getting on with yours?

I have recently bought a 3 pro and am well chuffed with it. Lovely tone, extremely flexible and very powerful. Really can't understand how people say they're underpowered. I used to own an svt 2 pro but sold it cos it gave me a hernia..... Seriously! I would describe the 3 pro as it's little brother, in a good way. Tonnes of tubey greatness that I can carry without regular physiotherapy!!

[quote name='dave74200' timestamp='1402819602' post='2476938']
Tonnes of tubey greatness that I can carry without regular physiotherapy!!
[/quote]

Still quite hefty compared to a Class D head, even carrying it in a soft case. Worth it though!

If people say the SVT3 PRO isn't loud enough, ask them compared to what? My SVT3 PRO was loud enough for any band I played with (and some were very loud) in the 10 years I had it.

Looking at the diagrams at the back, the user manual advises the master to be full on and balance your volume on the gain. I didn't use the graphic or the buttons, tube gain at 3 o'clock and frequency on 2 and had most of the tone controls at 12 or 1 o'clock and it sounded great, full, warm and punchy through my Mesa Boogie speakers. I like clean and I'd suggest anyone wanting to dirty up the sound should get a pedal.

Biasing the transistors has been covered in Talkbass threads. This rarely needs doing but generally, unless you really know what you're doing, you're advised to get that done by a professional or risk damaging your amp. The valves are in the pre amp so rarely wear out or need replacing.

I think the "volume issue" with the 3-PRO is as Chris puts it, people not using the amp as per the instructions of whacking Master on full, the using Gain for volume.

I thought the 3-PRO had a really wide array of sounds, but in the end, after messing about with the graphic and mid-switch etc, I found the sound I liked best was all eq set flat.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1402828158' post='2477037']
I think the "volume issue" with the 3-PRO is as Chris puts it, people not using the amp as per the instructions of whacking Master on full, the using Gain for volume.

I thought the 3-PRO had a really wide array of sounds, but in the end, after messing about with the graphic and mid-switch etc, I found the sound I liked best was all eq set flat.
[/quote]
I can't be @rsed with the graphic, but I do like to push the lower mids a bit - switch position 1 or maybe 2.

As Lozz and Chris mention, the example settings in the manual show Master maxed out and Gain very low. I used the Gain and Master the other way round, but it still gives you the same volume in the end.

I will report back after next Friday's gig - Foo Fighters, Green Day, RHCP, Muse, Oasis, Jam, Weller, Coldplay etc.

Getting on great with mine....had its 5th gig last night.

I have pretty much settled on the bass around 2-3 o'clock, mids and treble at noon, the mids selector on the second click, the tube gain around 9-10 o'clock. I keep the gain at 2 o'clock and use the master to get the overall volume...it usually ends up around the same setting as the gain. All the switches are disengaged. I don't use the EQ other than messing around with it at home.

That's playing 77-80 punk covers with a 78 Precision and a very bright Schroeder 410BMF.

I was a bit concerned after it's first gig....I switched it off and then immediately back on again as the shout came to do one more song after the usual encores...it lit up but no sound so that was the end of that...I immediately thought about Ampeg reliability issues and feared the worst.
When I got it home it fired up straight away and I haven't had any glitches or issues since.
I put it down to how quickly I switched it off and on, quite literally an all in one movement and I think I created a power surge or something for its protection circuit to kick in.

I don't find it too heavy or cumbersome at all. I have it mounted in a lightweight Proel 3U case that has carry handles making it an easy enough walk with it in one hand and another piece of gear in the other.

To sum up, I think its a great amp, it gives me a really well defined, clean growl that I was hoping for. It is also very flexible when you start monkeying around with the switches (and EQ) which I like to do at home but I found instant satisfaction with everything more or less at noon.

Edited by Jonesy64

Yeah, I was aware of that but actually I suppose that could have been it, I am pretty sure it had time to go through its sequence and I tried it a few times....that said, 20 secs is a long time when everyone else is waiting for you, so my impatience might have got the better of me :-)

[quote name='Jonesy64' timestamp='1402843098' post='2477163']
Getting on great with mine....had its 5th gig last night.

I have pretty much settled on the bass around 2-3 o'clock, mids and treble at noon, the mids selector on the second click, [/quote]

Having the mids on noon doesn't cut or boost anything so it doesn't matter what the selector is on.

• 3 weeks later...

I use mine with a 410 hlf cab and it's as loud as my svt 2 pro was. In many ways (after several gigs with the 3) I prefer it to the 2 pro. I figured it'd be a big compromise on tone for the decrease in weight but have been pleasantly surprised. Don't get me wrong, I loved the 2 pro also but found it really depressing having to call a mate to come round and help me move it every time I needed to. Ok I had it in a heavy rack case which in my opinion is required, but the weight was ludicrous.

I've now gigged mine - settings as above, except master to about 2 o'clock. Plenty of P growl and fatness. The only downside was having to use IEMs. After a while I popped one of them out so I could hear what my amp sounded like!

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1404261745' post='2490977']
I've now gigged mine - settings as above, except master to about 2 o'clock. Plenty of P growl and fatness. The only downside was having to use IEMs. After a while I popped one of them out so I could hear what my amp sounded like!
[/quote]
More to report here. That first gig with the SVT 3-Pro was a loud rock/indie covers band, through both my BF speakers. I played a similar kind of gig on Friday night, but powering the rig from my Streamliner, and I much preferred the latter's sound, mainly for the pre-amp crunch I could get by digging in. We played 'My Generation', and just picking harder for the solo made the notes leap out.

Last night I played my Sandberg through the 3-Pro and Compact, with pretty much the same settings, in a functions band, and it sounded perfect: tight but fat mids, plenty of authority, clear and sweet.

TBH it is early days, and either amp would cope with any gig, but for now I think I will use the 3-Pro and Compact for function and country gigs, Streamliner and both cabs for loud rock, Streamliner and Midget for an ultra light load.

[quote name='Jonesy64' timestamp='1406469432' post='2511680']
....and I've now got major GAS for a V4B even though I am still enjoying my 3 Pro!!

JapanAxe, what valves have you settled on?
[/quote]

I have left most of the originals in place, ended up with this:

V1 - NOS Sylvania
V2 - GT
V3 - GT
J11 (V1) - Fender
J12 (V2) - JJ

I briefly had gas for a Mesa Prodigy Four:88, then I saw the price :o :mellow:

Edited by JapanAxe