Why become a member? ×

Should I get this bass if I'm a beginner?

SaveTheBand

Hey guys! I'm new to Bass guitar and I decided to buy a Westone Thunder I Bass guitar for £125 from guitarguitar. It's a japanese guitar made in the 1980s. It's in near mint condition and just looks fantastic. But I'm not very experienced in the world of bass so pleas advise me on if I should get it or not!

Many thanks, Alfie

Yes.good solid bass at a good price. Youd struggle to find anything much better for the money assuming its in good condition and if you dont like it you sjould be able to sell it on for similar money. I hope you enjoy it.

These are cracking instruments, made in Japan to a high standard by Matsumoku (I have a Westone Spectrum LX bass). The Thunder I is a passive Precision type bass so about the simplest type of instrument. Have a look at this great website http://www.westone.info/

As with any bass, just make sure it is set up right to get the best out of it. Neck truss rod, action, pickup height, intonation and off you go! If you are not sure about it go to the Fender website and download the bass owners manual, it has all the details and how to make the adjustments. I guess Westone many have the same available.

Cheers,
Rich

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1397765355' post='2427267']
West- tone and yes great basses i learnt on one and look where it got me !!!
[/quote]
[quote name='Turk' timestamp='1397767798' post='2427308']
Same here !! :)
[/quote]

Well there you have it - a Westone Thunder is your passport to fame, fortune and an endless supply of groupies! :D

Welcome to the world of bass! Prepare yourself to not get laid!

Not played one before tbh, but the most important thing is what you think of it. Doesn't matter if you are a beginner or Billy Sheehan. If you like the feel and playability of it, you thrash that thing!

A lot of people get caught up in buying what other people consider to be good (Guilty myself - I ended up hating the thing!) so always go with your heart and what's good for you.

Edited by Weststarx

[quote name='SaveTheBand' timestamp='1397759535' post='2427201']
Hey guys! I'm new to Bass guitar and I decided to buy a Westone Thunder I Bass guitar for £125 from guitarguitar. It's a japanese guitar made in the 1980s. It's in near mint condition and just looks fantastic. But I'm not very experienced in the world of bass so pleas advise me on if I should get it or not!

Many thanks, Alfie
[/quote]

The Thunder 1 was originally marketed as a 'starter bass' back in the pre-internet days. I can recall seeing them in my mum's Grattan and/or Littlewoods catalogues; Bass, useless practice amp, dodgy lead & a cheapo strap as one package. Wouldn't be surprised if the bundle came with a set of pitch pipes for tuning either.

£125 is a good price for one & it won't devalue if you decide to shift it in the future. Matsumoku products from that era are built like brick privys too, so will not only stand up to a lot of rough & tumble, but can take a quite close-tolerance setup that makes them really easy to play. Sporting chance that it **might** have a DiMarzio pickup fitted, which many see as a good thing.

So... No, it's not 'too good' for you. Buy it & play it 'til yer fingers bleed :D

Pete.

I keep buying them - got to be the best value for money out there. Just acquired a Thunder 1A version 3 on here that has really put a smile on my face - lightweight (!!), active, 22 fret neck. Great necks.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1397761572' post='2427227']
your biggest problem with it may be that now you've posted on here someone might gazump you to it!
[/quote]
xD True, but I went into their shop and reserved it. They're bringing it in from Glasgow. Also, it is cheap but there is a £50 deposit.