Why become a member? ×

Should I get this bass if I'm a beginner?

SaveTheBand

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1397850980' post='2428033']
Perhaps not the prettiest models to have come out of Matsumoku, but eminently playable and well constructed.
[/quote]

I actually like the look of them - I'd much rather have a Westone Thunder 1A and a few hundred quid in the bank than a bass with a fancy name on the headstock made of exotic woods. I was really sad to let mine go when I damaged my back as the models I owned then were too heavy to wear for any length of time. To my surprise and delight I recently discovered that the 1A version 3 weighs under 8.5lbs and now have a matching pair of fretted and fretless and a big smile. The version 3 also has Magnabass pickup, which is voiced differently to the split coil P style, and I prefer it. 22 frets, better high mass bridge, slightly simplified controls - win all round.

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1397768727' post='2427328']
Welcome to the world of bass! Prepare yourself to not get laid!

Not played one before tbh, but the most important thing is what you think of it. Doesn't matter if you are a beginner or Billy Sheehan. If you like the feel and playability of it, you thrash that thing!

A lot of people get caught up in buying what other people consider to be good (Guilty myself - I ended up hating the thing!) so always go with your heart and what's good for you.
[/quote] +1 great advice :)

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1397895230' post='2428258']
I actually like the look of them - I'd much rather have a Westone Thunder 1A and a few hundred quid in the bank than a bass with a fancy name on the headstock made of exotic woods. I was really sad to let mine go when I damaged my back as the models I owned then were too heavy to wear for any length of time. To my surprise and delight I recently discovered that the 1A version 3 weighs under 8.5lbs and now have a matching pair of fretted and fretless and a big smile. The version 3 also has Magnabass pickup, which is voiced differently to the split coil P style, and I prefer it. 22 frets, better high mass bridge, slightly simplified controls - win all round.
[/quote]

+1 on the look from me also; I think the body shape's quite appealing. I've always wondered how different the Magnabass P style pickup sounds compared to the conventional split design - interesting that you prefer it (my Spectrum LX has a Magnabass II and a Magnabass IV on it).

I'd say that compared to the split coil P-type, the Magnabass is slightly more metallic, nasal and honky, if that makes any sense. With rounds I find it a bit harsh but a decent set of flats adds an organic warmth to the tone that is really lovely yet with sufficient bite with the treble up if needs be.

I am not sure of the difference between the different Magnabass pups, though. I am the rather proud owner of Matsumoku's finest - a Pantera X790 - which according to the literature is fitted with a pair of Magnabass VII pups. But to my knackered old ears they sound much like the ones fitted to these 1A version III. I guess they can't be the same. Without wishing to derail the topic does anyone know? A quick trawl through the Westone site to match pictures to descriptions seems superficially confusing with no consistency between pickup model numbers and appearance.