Why become a member? ×

Gotoh bridge and kentish ale.

cclowend

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Hi all,[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]I am drinking beer and about to mod my MIM Fender Jazz with a Gotoh bridge.[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]I am no tech guy so need advice.[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]If I change the string gauge, will I need to change the saddle height? I am currently happy with the action.[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]I know a gauge change will need the intonation adjusting, any guidance would be great.[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Ta.[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='cclowend' timestamp='1397810490' post='2427540']
Yes. I might put a card shim under the neck whilst the strings are off. The saddles are very low on the screws but still very high.
[/quote]
I had to do this when I fitted my Gotoh, easy job and works a treat.

Edited by geoham

[quote name='cclowend' timestamp='1397835756' post='2427808']
I haven't shimmed it. I am scared. At the mo the E is a little quiet, the G is a little buzzy on the 17th and I think putting a shim in the mix will create chaos. The saddles are as low as they can go. Help!!!!!
[/quote]
Big girl....., get on with it. There's a topic in here somewhere about shimming the neck. It's easy. Once shimmed start again with your setup. You will find that it's a big improvement for a little effort. I'm not a fan of gotoh bridges but if you are going to fit one you need to see it through and make it work. ;)

"The moral of the story is I chose a half measure when I should have gone all the way. I'll never make that mistake again. No more half measures, Walter."

Breaking bad quote, not really relevant but very cool.

[quote name='cclowend' timestamp='1398170197' post='2431099']
Yes. Now that's impressive. I thought about that but haven't got a router. Post a pic if you will.
[/quote]
You mean you don't have a router like the ones that Argos sell - which of course are covered by a 16 day no quibble money back guarantee should you not find the item to be suitable. Just saying ! Should you decide to embark on such skulduggery - leave off the Kentish Ale in fact should you wish to get temptation out of your reach please forward it to ......I'm yer best mate , me , no 'onest PLC - 1, The Skip - Wakefield.