Why become a member? ×

Casio CZ synths

cloudburst

I've recently discovered how much of a superb underdog the Casio CZ range is in bridging the gap between analogue and digital synths.

I love the fact that these are soooo good but so few people ever realised. Probably because they expected Casio only made home keyboards.

I've started a collection and now have a CZ-101 and an absolutely mint CZ-5000 together with a growing list of period Casio accessories.

Do I need medical attention?

CB

Edited by cloudburst

funny you say that, my mate [url="https://soundcloud.com/strsgn"]https://soundcloud.com/strsgn[/url] just popped in yesterday all excited to say he was rushing off to grab a CZ101/1000? Not sure which but he was saying exact same as you. He's quite an 80's synth aficionado.

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1397771417' post='2427374']
I've started a collection and now have a CZ-101 and an absolutely mint CZ-5000 together with a growing list of period Casio accessories.

Do I need medical attention?
[/quote]

Definitely not!

For several years in the 80s a Casio CZ5000 was my main synth live (controlled from a Yamaha KX5 "keytar") and provided all the MIDI side sequencing in the studio. A couple of years ago I was lucky enough the pick up the flagship CZ1 (basically a CZ5000 without the sequencer but with velocity sensitivity) very cheaply off eBay.

A useful little trick to add a bit more punch to the attack of the notes is to put a very fast one octave spike at the front of the note using the pitch envelope. I can't remember exactly what the value is but somewhere around 60 IIRC is exactly an octave. Have fun programming!

You should also look at the VZ range of synths that followed. They are much more professional looking, but the programming is also much more convoluted. The very simple yet extremely effective programming of the CZ synths was one of their biggest strengths.

Edited by BigRedX

Glad to know I'm amongst friends! I'm also quite likely to add a CZ-1 to the collection. I'd be interested to know how the velocity/aftertouch feels and manifests itself and how the overall feel compared to your CZ-500 when you first tried the CZ-1.

Thanks for the tip on step-1 of the DCO envelope. I'll give it a try.

CB

They're great sounding synths - I've had the CZ-1000 (full-size key version of the 101) and the CZ-3000, which is like the 5000 without the sequencer. I quite liked the (noisy) chorus on the 3000, but it did add a bit of warmth to the sounds. The multi-stage envelopes enabled them to do things you couldn't do with the analogue polys that ruled the roost at the time.

As BRX has said, the VZ series are also worth looking into, but programming them isn't as simple or 'immediate' as the CZ series but the screen gives a graphic representation of what's going on with some parameters, unlike the numbers-only display on a DX7. I've currently got a VZ-1 although I need to replace the backlight on it soon. Just a pity it was overlooked in favour of the DX7 at the time (or more accurately, the DX7 MkII) as with the extra waveforms (something Yamaha didn't address until the TX-81z/DX11), you have more scope for sound design.

This advert still makes me laugh though:

http://youtu.be/GPWEnmEYxqs

"So easy to play... they're Rocker-Launchers".

Please tell me I heard that wrongly!?!

If that's what indeed was said, then would anyone like to buy:
- A Casio CZ-101 with Casio AC adapter, owners manuals and genuine CZ-101 (silver) carry case, made out of real space-suits
- A Casio RA-3 (32 patch) RAM cartridge
- A Casio CZ-5000 (as new condition in original box) with owners manuals and metal stand with Casio sticker made out of real sticky-back plastic
- A Casio VP-2 volume pedal (as new condition in original box)
- Supporting CZ reference books

CB

[color=#37404E]Regarding my CZ-5000, I had a very productive Sunday afternoon last weekend. Against my better judgement, I repaired a strange problem with the synth, where the left channel would take about 7 minutes to stabilise after power-on.[/color]

[color=#333333][font=Helvetica, Arial,]When I said mint - I meant mint. It had been sitting in its box since 1986. This is one of those exercises that could easily go very horribly wrong![/font][/color]

This is the output board. After looking at a schematic, I reckoned that the problem lay with the relay, since it is in the path of both L&R Line-Outs and the Phones output.

This is a close up of the offending relay with its little cover off. I powered on and realised when I saw the two contacts clicking up after a 2 second delay and clicking down again immediately on power off, that this relay's function is to protect your speakers from the power-on clunk. So my theory was that one contact was for the L channel and one for the R channel, the former possibly being oxidised.

The relay, deoxidised (using contact cleaner very lightly sprayed on and rubbed lightly between the contact surfaces with a piece of card) and with its little cover back on.

Back together. Unbelievably, my repair worked perfectly, first time!

And - strangely enough the piece of card I had selected - purely based on its texture and thickness to apply the contact cleaner - turned out to have been a Thomas Dolby gig ticket. I only realised this afterwards. How appropriate was that? I've spoken with him a couple of times in the past and know he'd just love that!

CB

Edited by cloudburst

[quote name='Green Alsatian' timestamp='1397917274' post='2428617']
They're great sounding synths - I've had the CZ-1000 (full-size key version of the 101) and the CZ-3000, which is like the 5000 without the sequencer. I quite liked the (noisy) chorus on the 3000, but it did add a bit of warmth to the sounds. The multi-stage envelopes enabled them to do things you couldn't do with the analogue polys that ruled the roost at the time.

As BRX has said, the VZ series are also worth looking into, but programming them isn't as simple or 'immediate' as the CZ series but the screen gives a graphic representation of what's going on with some parameters, unlike the numbers-only display on a DX7. I've currently got a VZ-1 although I need to replace the backlight on it soon. Just a pity it was overlooked in favour of the DX7 at the time (or more accurately, the DX7 MkII) as with the extra waveforms (something Yamaha didn't address until the TX-81z/DX11), you have more scope for sound design.

This advert still makes me laugh though:

http://youtu.be/GPWEnmEYxqs
[/quote]

Some nice you pube clips . The one with the three keyboard guys is mental ...

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1397808061' post='2427512']
Glad to know I'm amongst friends! I'm also quite likely to add a CZ-1 to the collection. I'd be interested to know how the velocity/aftertouch feels and manifests itself and how the overall feel compared to your CZ-500 when you first tried the CZ-1.

Thanks for the tip on step-1 of the DCO envelope. I'll give it a try.

CB
[/quote]

There is a CZ-1 for sale here right now, listed in the other musically related items section.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/234922-casio-cz-1-classic-80s-phase-distortion-digital-synth/

Interesting how many things turn out to be a shared interest between like minded people - I like to think it's "great minds think alike" rather than the other one!

Anyway, yep - great synths and hugely underrated at the time.

VZ-10M rackmount expander here.

Cheers

Ed

• 3 weeks later...

I love CZ-101 and still use my tunes.
Well, I don't know other CZ lines but the 101 is only 4 poly(2 DCO) and 8 poly(1 DCO).
Maybe CZ-3000/5000 can play 8 poly(2 DCO) and 16 poly(1 DCO).
I use this 101 for multi-track recording, sometimes I do sampling CZ sound to the hardware sampler. :)

• 6 months later...

I had a CZ5000, brilliant bit of kit, now sadly sold on. However, I still have the original owners manual so if there are any CZ5000 fans out there who want to make a little donation to BC, I'll donate the manual although you'll have to wait until the 20th Dec for me to post it when I'm over next.

Edited by leschirons