Why become a member? ×

Recommended amps for Barefaced Super 12.

karlfer

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1398029316' post='2429757']
Sensible TWICE in one day. Who are you and what have you done with discreet?
[/quote][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I'm... a 'friend'. Don't worry - he's quite safe in my lock-up in Deptford. :mellow:[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nobby (The Dentist).[/font][/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1398033662' post='2429794']

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I'm... a 'friend'. Don't worry - he's quite safe in my lock-up in Deptford. :mellow:[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nobby (The Dentist).[/font][/size]
[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1398031821' post='2429782']
you like preamps... go for a pre/power setup?
[/quote]

Lol, I'm waiting on a refund for the power amp I did buy. Which was going to be fed with the preamp pedal I'm having from COG. But something that big means an extra a bag and for a non driver slipping 500watts plus into my gig bag is a god send.

The shuttle 9.2 is on my radar as it's first cheap new. But just sold the 6.0 so would want something different I think. The headphone out on the shuttles is crap.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1398009760' post='2429481']
The Puma and Aguilar up for sale at the moment are both VERY tempting :rolleyes:
[/quote]

True, Aguilar for me I know I'll hate the treble roll off, and the puma, it's quoted 600watt at 8 ohm is tempting, plus it's tiny, but anything with a knob like 'taste' puts me right off.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1398065378' post='2429914']
True, Aguilar for me I know I'll hate the treble roll off, and the puma, it's quoted 600watt at 8 ohm is tempting, plus it's tiny, but anything with a knob like 'taste' puts me right off.
[/quote] I never used it, it's similar to both the filters on mark bass, just one on each half of the knob. I preferred it in the middle.

Hiya Karl,

not long after I bought your EBS Neo 212 I picked up an HD350 and two years later, I'm still loving that rig. I also picked up an EBS Microbass and an SWR amplite and have had similarly pleasing results. The Microbass is a fantastic little box. Sooooo, since you loved the EBS tone you had why not try the microbass with a lightweight power amp. Maybe the 400W of the Amplite would not be enough for your watt-guzzling needs, but there's always the Demeter Minnie. It'll cost you an arm and a leg but I reckon it'll sound goooooood!

PS your old Fender Duck Dunn is [i]still [/i]the funkiest most badass bass I ever done played. It now wears bartolinis, Gotoh res-o-lite tuners and flats, shamone.

All the best, Alan.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1398089300' post='2430274']
I've wondered for a little while how an Ashdown LB30 would sound with a non-tweeter Super 12; given the cab's sensitivity it may be giggable - would be interested to see if anyone's tried this.
[/quote]

I doubt it's giggable unless the band is quiet. I run a CTM100 with two Super Compacts and that is amazing but I suspect an LB30 would run out of puff.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1398065378' post='2429914']

[/quote] I use a puma 900 and IMO the taste control is a real addition to the EQ possibilties with this amp.

[quote name='bamboscha' timestamp='1398116636' post='2430708']
Hiya Karl,

not long after I bought your EBS Neo 212 I picked up an HD350 and two years later, I'm still loving that rig. I also picked up an EBS Microbass and an SWR amplite and have had similarly pleasing results. The Microbass is a fantastic little box. Sooooo, since you loved the EBS tone you had why not try the microbass with a lightweight power amp. Maybe the 400W of the Amplite would not be enough for your watt-guzzling needs, but there's always the Demeter Minnie. It'll cost you an arm and a leg but I reckon it'll sound goooooood!

PS your old Fender Duck Dunn is [i]still [/i]the funkiest most badass bass I ever done played. It now wears bartolinis, Gotoh res-o-lite tuners and flats, shamone.

All the best, Alan.
[/quote]

Are you INSANE boy? It's bad enough being accused of using a car cassette, never mind a bloody painted fag box :lol: :lol: :lol:
Glad you are still enjoying gear I should never have sold :rolleyes: .
But there again, you are a professional musician with far more pragmatic sense than a weekend warrior like me will ever have. And to think of the biscuits I willingly gave :P .
Hope you are ok bud and it's all going swimmingly.
Cheers,
Karl.

Help required folks. I've had an offer of a Streamliner 600 in exchange for my GK MB500. Not what I was after (ie, folding stuff) but worth considering.
The Streamliner has all the mid select stuff which always confuses me, but the big questions for me are these.
The pre amp has 3 valves in it. If changed, will they need re-biasing?
Length of string, I know, but how often would the experts REASONABLY expect to have to change the pre amp valves, eg every year/two years/century etc?
As I understand it pre amp valves rarely use anything but a tiny proportion of their capabilities, however, changing valves frequently is not somewhere I really want to go.
Hence my liking of what I have always known as tranny amps.
Thanks in advance for the good advice (and the inevitable daftness which I love :D ) that I know you guys will provide.
Cheers,
Karl.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1398626934' post='2435980']
The pre amp has 3 valves in it. If changed, will they need re-biasing?
[/quote]

No, preamp valves don't need biasing at any time. Don't worry about them.
My Burman MPA (1972) still has the original Mullards in it and I'm not about to change them any time soon. :)

I heard bertbass's Streamliner through his BF '69er recently and it sounded fantastic.

But my GK GB500 Fusion sounded fantastic through it, too.
The amps could pretty much be made to sound like each other - bert was impressed.

The Fusion also has three preamp valves and a valve-driven switchable Contour control.

Edited by discreet

Well, the Fusion tubes don't really add much. They add some harmonic content, but not as much as some people would want.

The Streamliner pre really does add a huge amount of warmth and thickness to the tone. It is very obvious especially if you've just played a solid state amp like the Shuttle before.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1398674998' post='2436316']
Well, the Fusion tubes don't really add much. They add some harmonic content, but not as much as some people would want.
[/quote]

Have you A/B'd these two amps? :)

The Fusion is capable of huge warmth and depth of tone - it's a beast. It's loud, too. Admittedly I only had a relatively short time with the amps at bertbass's place, but it was quite obvious that although there are certain variations in the way they do things, they have more similarities than differences.

The Fusion will do 'the GK sound' for sure, but it does a [i]lot [/i]more besides. It shouldn't be confused with any other GK amp. IMHO.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1398674998' post='2436316']

The Streamliner pre really does add a huge amount of warmth and thickness to the tone. It is very obvious especially if you've just played a solid state amp like the Shuttle before.
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1398675612' post='2436327']

The Fusion is capable of huge warmth and depth of tone - it's a beast. It's loud, too. Admittedly I only had a relatively short time with the amps at bertbass's place, but it was quite obvious that although there are certain variations in the way they do things, they have more similarities than differences.

The Fusion will do 'the GK sound' for sure, but it does a [i]lot [/i]more besides. It shouldn't be confused with any other GK amp. IMHO.
[/quote]

I concur with Sir Mr discreet :)

You guys really aren't helping my MB Fusion GAS :D

So, I can basically have the same sound as my Streamliner, but with more clarity and more control over the mids? I think I'm going to have to try one of these out.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1398675612' post='2436327']

[/quote]

Not side by side like that, no, unfortunately. I picked up on it, and noticed a few others pick up on it, but it could have been settings, etc.

The Streamliner sounds like a very expensive all tube pre amp into a recording desk to my ears. Very smooth, musical, but with the ability to have that modern high end sheen. I really like the treble control as it doubles like a passive tone control for every bass you plug in.

There is no lack of mids unless you let there be a lack of mids. Just bump up the mid control, same on the baked in GK tone, (although GK tend to have a high mid bump somewhere).

I prefer the sound and form factor of the Streamliner, but I agree that the GK gear is great.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1398686307' post='2436495']
The Streamliner sounds like a very expensive all tube pre amp into a recording desk to my ears. Very smooth, musical, but with the ability to have that modern high end sheen. I really like the treble control as it doubles like a passive tone control for every bass you plug in.
There is no lack of mids unless you let there be a lack of mids. Just bump up the mid control, same on the baked in GK tone, (although GK tend to have a high mid bump somewhere).
I prefer the sound and form factor of the Streamliner, but I agree that the GK gear is great.
[/quote]

Yes. Bertbass is a dyed-in-the-wool all-valve man and he's quite happy with his Streamliner, so that says a lot. After a long search I found Sonic Nirvana with my 1972 Burman Pre and Power kit, but the Fusion really surprised me. I prefer the Burman rig to be honest (just), but given that the Fusion is a one-finger lift and the Burman weighs around 35Kg... both are great and have big heft, they just do things differently.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1398685750' post='2436484']
You guys really aren't helping my MB Fusion GAS :D So, I can basically have the same sound as my Streamliner, but with more clarity and more control over the mids? I think I'm going to have to try one of these out.
[/quote]

I wouldn't say the amps are exactly the same, but the GK does have huge lows if you want them. I like the mid arrangement, as you get lo and hi mid rotary controls, but also a switchable Contour control. It is essentially a progressive mid-scoop control, but you can select at which frequency this happens - 500Hz or 800Hz. As all the mid controls work together, there are a huge range of options available. But yes, try one out for sure.

Edited by discreet