Why become a member? ×

Recommended amps for Barefaced Super 12.

karlfer

I seem to remember Alex did a piece on amps that work best with his cabs, but I can't find it.
Can anybody remember where it was, or what amps he recommended with a Super 12?
It's the time of the year for an amp change :lol: :lol:
The GK has been with me FAR too long. Like the gear tart I am, I am looking longingly at Aguilar 500's. So fickle :blush:
Well, I've never tried one (justification).
Cheers for any help/links folks,
ta,
Karl.

My Eden WT550 works really well with it, but is pipped by the Genz Benz Streamliner. Pairing the GB amp with it at a bash — courtesy of WoT — was sonic heaven. Lush and warm, but still solid and unflabby. Unfortunately my amp buying days are curtailed so I'll have to settle for the slightly less sonically perfect Eden. It's a hard life sometimes. :lol:

I've put an Orange TB500 and now a Markbass TTE500 through mine.

Both sounded completely different, as you would expect, which I think only goes to show that these cabs put out what's put into them, rather than overwriting an amp sound with their own.

The TTE500 is very lovely though, and fits perfectly on it

Here's Alex's quote about pairing amps:

[size=4][i]"[color=#333333][font=Helvetica, Arial,]We've heard that Genz Benz is probably being killed off my Fender (who've owned it for some time). This is a shame because many of our customers use their amps with Barefaced cabs with great success. However, I hope that they resurrect the[/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Helvetica, Arial,]line successfully under new brand - though history does not bode well... On the plus side, I recently discovered that you can get Carvin amps in the UK now - their B1500 and B2000 (great preamp!) are ideal for getting HUGE SPL out of our cabs:[url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk/product-category/bass-amps-and-cabs/carvin-amps/"]http://www.bassgear.co.uk/product-category/bass-amps-and-cabs/carvin-amps/[/url]"[/font][/color][/i][/size]

[size=4][color=#333333][font=Helvetica, Arial,]I should add that I work at the shop referenced here but the recommendation and link comes from Alex. [/font][/color][/size][color=#333333][font=Helvetica, Arial,]Since posting this the BX1500 has been discontinued (there's one left at a knock down price) and been replaced by the 1600 version. They've also introduced a B1000 which is very similar to the B2000 but in a smaller package, with less power (obviously) and lower weight.[/font][/color]

Thanks to everybody for their input, really appreciated. No big deal but I do just fancy trying something else.
The Precision is still a little hit and miss in different venues although the jazz and the P/J sound fabulous every where.

Love the TTE500. I had an EBS TD650 which was amazing,best amp I've ever had, but in a 3U rack it weighed almost 50lbs!

Barry, I am very grateful that your shop is 3 hours and 10 minutes away from me. Yes, I've checked. :lol:
I have had my eye on that 61 CS Closet Classic for a couple of weeks and GAS of all kinds was not helped by spotting the Carvin BX 700 which looks an amazing piece of kit for the money.

Again thanks everybody. Gig money burning a hole will one day be the death of me :rolleyes:

Edited by karlfer

The super 12 works brilliantly with a Genz Benz streamliner 900 or shuttle 9.2, excellent combination and power to spare for me :)
Bass Direct are still doing these amps for £499 which is a lot less than I paid, I find the streamliner better than the shuttle, more warmth and fullness, just my two pennies worth

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1397835504' post='2427804']

Barry, I am very grateful that your shop is 3 hours and 10 minutes away from me. Yes, I've checked. :lol:
I have had my eye on that 61 CS Closet Classic for a couple of weeks and GAS of all kinds was not helped by spotting the Carvin BX 700 which looks an amazing piece of kit for the money.

Again thanks everybody. Gig money burning a hole will one day be the death of me :rolleyes:
[/quote]

The BX700 is really cool and crazy value for a genuine US made piece of kit. £430 for something made in California rather than China is really impressive. Phil has been over and seen the factory, everything is made in-house and not bought in partly assembled.

3 hours isn't that far. . . :)

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1397904392' post='2428420']
Those Carvin amps are a bargain !
[/quote]

The B1000 is my new favourite. Really clean and powerful and has a 'killer' sub-bass control.

This is at about 40hz and either allows a subtle low end boost if required or, which I think is more likely, it can reduce boominess in a difficult room.

The B2000 is the same - only more so!

Both only put out full power under 2 ohms but this is actually really useful. Means you can use a pair of 4 ohm cabs and get decent power from just one and then even more with a pair :)

Karl, I'm surprised the GK MB500 is not doing it for you - I A/B'd my 500 Fusion with Bertbass's 900 Streamliner/'69er combination and both amps produce excellent heft, clarity, definition and volume. They are not a million miles away from each other imho.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1397997938' post='2429335']
I'm looking at a new amp myself to go with my Super Compact.
I've just move on a Genz shuttle 6 on to get something with more power.

Budget is £500-£700 and I'm after something with 500watts at 8 ohms. And struggling to decide what to get.
[/quote]

Shuttle 9.0 surely?

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1397893141' post='2428239']
Karl, if you want to try my Streamliner, give me a shout and we could swap heads for a few days (or if it's mid-week when I'm not gigging you could just borrow the Streamliner) if that'll help.
[/quote]

Thanks Muzz that's amazingly kind, speak soon.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1397988886' post='2429181']
Karl, I'm surprised the GK MB500 is not doing it for you - I A/B'd my 500 Fusion with Bertbass's 900 Streamliner/'69er combination and both amps produce excellent heft, clarity, definition and volume. They are not a million miles away from each other imho.
[/quote]

Hmmm discreet in being serious shocker, who would have believed it :o
Last nights gig, took virtually all the bass off the amp, upped the lower mids and the P sounded amazing all night. The jazz and P/J always sound great through the amp/cab. I really think I just want an excuse to try another amp :lol: .
Perhaps it's because amp technology seems to move forward every week!

Budget is £500-£700 and I'm after something with 500watts at 8 ohms. And struggling to decide what to get.
[/quote]

The Puma and Aguilar up for sale at the moment are both VERY tempting :rolleyes:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1398009903' post='2429487']
I can well understand that, but perhaps try another amp [i]before [/i]your sell your GK..? :)
[/quote]

Sensible TWICE in one day. Who are you and what have you done with discreet?

[/quote] you like preamps... go for a pre/power setup?